mares mr22 2nd stage issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So... to update if anyone cares. I had the same shop readjust the reg (I'm limited for options here). I was told that it was still hard to breath cause of the 3/8ths hose and 90 fitting and reducer, but the reg was all back to factory spec. If you read the first post you will remember I said it breathed just like the factory hose for the first 6 dives with the miflex. I checked for free flow by submerging it face down and it wouldnt crack before water was filling the mouth piece, another abyss flowed just past the zip tie. I changed it back to the original 1/2 hose and it breathed exactly the same as the miflex 3/8, 90, and reducer.
so needless to say I will be taking it across the bridge to Canada to have my work done. Also they said there was no paint on the screws when I brought it so someone must have touched it. Well.... when I took posession of it after the june service, I observed that there was no new paint on it and thought to myself "well they must not be paint dabbing them anymore"
I think they need a class on customer service, and integrity.

The tech you took your regulator too needs to set his tools down and back away from the repair bench, slowly, so he does not hurt himself.

Absolutely nothing he told you was correct.

One of the problems I have with the Mares "factory spec" is that the repair manual propagates an idiot-proof, cookbook approach to tuning the Abyss 2nd stage... it was probably written for idiots like the tech you encountered.

If the tech follows the procedure in the manual as a hard and fast Rule instead of just a Guideline, he can end up with a very mediocre result. You have to tune that 2nd stage, not just assemble it! And what frustrates me is the act of "tuning" the 2nd stage only takes another few minutes beyond the procedure specified in the manual. Once tuned properly, that Abyss is a wonderful 2nd stage... but if the tech does not understand how to tune a reg, it can also be a real "dog".

If you decide you do wish to service your own MR-22 / Abyss, there are lots of folks here who can point you in the right direction for tools, manuals, parts and tips.

Best wishes.

I "mess" around with my Mares Abyss's. Mine are set after I put the intermediate pressure at about 142-144 psi for summer or warmer water, winter fun at about 133-136 psi for that cold stuff. I always check my cracking and so far it's worked with the water immersion trials. However to each their own. If I don't like the service I'm getting, I look elsewhere or figure it out my self. It really isn't rocket science and with a little fore thought you can do it. However this is only my $.05 . Two cent opinions have been replaced due to inflation.

Thanks all,
I've been real busy the last few days, so it wasn't easy to reply. Anyhow I just said screw it... delved into the threads and searches and fixed it myself! And guess what... It works great now!!! I dont think it was real far off, But like Leadturn said, "they need to be tuned". And as I found out very small adjustments make big changes. However overall I didn't find it real hard to do, just sucked up 1200 lbs breathing and comparing between two abysses.
I followed the manual from frogkick and set the orifice, then worked the lever up to the diaphram and fiddled with that per suggestions I found. Then just a hair of tweaking the orifice. I did notice just a bit of what I would call instability in the air charge through the hose, which a small increase in the IP took away (Which the shop had turned back, and accused me of increasing). I got the cracking pressure set at 1.25" (right when the water gets to the VAD tube) same as the other abyss that works well.
As for the 90 degree fitting and 3/8ths hose flow assessment. I would say the only thing I feel different than factory is a very slight progressive linkage feel (carburetor talk) instead of a linear flow increase. But no real max flow reduction, and nothing that would bother you with its use.
I have to dive it still to make a thorough check, I dont expect problems with it but I will be prepared for sure. Thanks again all!!

Well done! And welcome to the "Dark Side" of DIY regulator maintenance.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom