Mares MR22/ABYSS vs Scubapro mk25/s600

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings all,

My LDO has all these regs (Mares MR22/ABYSS, v16/Proton XL and Scubapro mk25/s600) at a similar price on offer. Servicing is the same as well, plenty of operators do both. I need some help deciding which to buy.

My diving is all in the warm waters of Asia and North Eastern Australia. Just recreational stuff, no technical diving, only coral, wall dives, outside wrecks, off beaches etc and no deeper than 40M.

I welcome your advice.

Thanks.

I have both (errr, well the MK15/G250). Either way, these are the top of their respects lines. Breathing is awesome with both. For most dives the Mares is my primary of choice. The deciding factor hear should be; do you want to play with adjustments or not. Adjustments can be deturned or "turned-up" on the fly but, this can lead to less than ideal moments.

Cheers,
Mike

I have been doing some research on a lot of different regulators in the last few weeks through LDS and this board and I have narrowed my search down to Mares Proton Ice, Abyss & V16 Proton Metal also Scuba Pro Mk25/s600 and Apeks 50,100 or 200.

simonc:
Greetings all,

My LDO has all these regs (Mares MR22/ABYSS, v16/Proton XL and Scubapro mk25/s600) at a similar price on offer. Servicing is the same as well, plenty of operators do both. I need some help deciding which to buy.

My diving is all in the warm waters of Asia and North Eastern Australia. Just recreational stuff, no technical diving, only coral, wall dives, outside wrecks, off beaches etc and no deeper than 40M.

I welcome your advice.

Thanks.
All the regs you've named will be an excellent choice for the kind of diving you'll be doing. They are all top of the line. I'd suggest testing them underwater and buying the one you liked most. I'd rather recommend the Abyss than the Proton if it's the same price.
I'm diving the Abyss since couple of years and it always performed reliably and was breathing the same regardless how deep.
Just my 2 cents

I dive the abyss becasue I dive in cold water and in warn. It has held up wonderfully going from one extreme to another. It aso does not help that it has beat out many others. Check out the Mares website becasue the abyss one an award. I would not trade in my abyss, unless it was for another one

I had both. I am pretty sure SP MK25/S600 breath better. I am also sure SP MK25 will freeze earlier than MR22 in very cold water. MK25/S600 maybe easier to get serviced (everywhere). Abyss seems cheaper now.
How cold is your water? Which one your LDS carries?

My LDS has Mares MR22/Abyss, V32 Proton XL, v16 Proton XL, v16 Proton MR12 Metal, Scubapro SK25/s600, Aqualung Legend and legend lx.

So my decision is not an easy one. Too many to choose from.

Greetings!

I have the V16 Proton and the MR22 Abyss, and I MUCH prefer the MR22 Abyss. Doesn't matter what depth, what water temp, or what position I am in, it breathes VERY smoothly and easily.

Dove a friend's Mk20/S600 some time back and really didn't think that it breathed any better than my Abyss. Of course YMMV.

Randy Cain

drmobil2002:
I have been doing some research on a lot of different regulators in the last few weeks through LDS and this board and I have narrowed my search down to Mares Proton Ice, Abyss & V16 Proton Metal also Scuba Pro Mk25/s600 and Apeks 50,100 or 200.

Hi,

What's your final decision? I plan to have my 1st gear also. Your advise may also applicable on my case. I heard fm some dive shop and knew that only Apeks can prevent water go into the internal part of the regulator in the market. Is it right? How to clean it if salt water go into the 1st and 2nd stage?

Thanks in advance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom