Mares or Tusa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ Tudor:
Thanks guys this has definatly given me something to consider. One problem I have with Mares is I've heard quite a few complaints compared to other regulators, not to mention they tend to be expensive.
FWIW, just as an example, my Mares Abyss went through couple hundred dives without any issues (without servicing), while my over-hyped Apeks (2xDS4/ATX50) gave me nothing but trouble in the year I have them until all the issues were fixed. Now they work just fine though.
YMMV

For the price, I don't think a Mares V16 Proton can be beat. Granted, the Mares Abyss is a better reg, but it will be considerably more expensive as well. Just my 2¢

I have never dove a mares reg other than my rentals for my open waters . but i have been on alot of dive boats were i have seen free flow issues with them .But if it works for ya keep doing what your doing . As for apeks there a good regs but i think they are over hiped. my budys had one blow up on him at 70 feet on a his deco stop I have had superr luck with my atomics that jus my 2 cents

Zak,

Thank you for the information. I was making the purchase decision one evening when the east coast stores where closed. I called a store in CA to ask more information. Since the water temperature and thermals can be issue I asked about the cold water kit. I was told don’t bother; it will really hurt breathing resistance. I bought the regulator and love it, but I do not use it below 50 F.

I would like to get more information about the cold water kit and its use on my reg. I understand it is about $100 plus installation. Please post information on it.

Flea Dog

I have dove my Mares Abyss in the low to mid 30's water temp many times and have never had any problems

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom