Mares Power Plana - Hollis F1 - Scuba Pro Jet - Aqualung Rocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone comment on how any of these compare to Atomic Blade fins?

The Atomics are supposed to be neutral and I think I want something a bit negative. When I'm in a wetsuit - particularly, a 7mm - I feel like my legs are a bit too floaty compared to the rest of me. However, if the Atomics (which I have now) compare well to all these others in all other respects, maybe I should just keep them and figure out how to use some trim weight somewhere to try and address my trim issue.

Also, are there any specs on the actual buoyancy of any of these others? I see that the Power Planas and the F1s are negative, but I can't find where it says how much negative either one is.

It's funny . . . I think my Power Planas are pretty similar to Jets for frog kicking and back kicking, but where I think they SMOKE is flutter kicking, which is a kick I'm not terribly good at and don't generally like. But it's both comfortable and very fast for me with those fins.

This thread has a ton of love for the Power Planas. But, there seems to be a little love also for the F1s. And I read Jim Lapenta's review of the F1s and he seems to feel like they're the only OW fin he'll ever need. So, I'm pretty set on getting a pair of one or the other.

I want the fin to be good for diving to a wreck where there's current, and then also be good for doing "tech" kicks once inside the wreck. I will probably get some tech-specific fins like the SP Jets or HOG Tech 2s, eventually. But, for now I need to just roll with one set of fins for everything, OW to wrecks.

So, can any of y'all shed any light on the Power Planas and the F1s as far as which one would better in current? And which one would be better while inside a shipwreck? Is the overall length, when wearing them, much different between the two? I reckon shorter is better, when inside a wreck.

Is either one particularly better for technical kicks?

I wear US size 10.5 men's shoes. But, I have really narrow (and flat) feet. Is the foot pocket of either likely to be better for me? I think my LDS has both in stock, so I'm going to go try them both on. So, really, my questions are mostly about which would work better for the diving I want to do.

Between these types of fins; they are all close.
Any differences are subtle, and become a matter of personal preference.

Buy whichever one of these you like when you go to your LDS and try them on ( bring your boots).

You could flip a coin.....They will both suit you well.

By the time you are ready to take an advanced wreck course.......meaning a course that teaches wreck penetration, to include the prerequisite courses and experience, you will already have you own personal preference for fins.

At this point.....since you've narrowed it down to these two.; just pick one.

Some of the things you are asking, are so subtle, and come down to "feel".

Your foot pocket question is best answered by bringing your boots into your LDS and trying them on.

You are lucky. Your LDS has both fins to try.

Cheers,
Mitch

Back
Top Bottom