Mares Puck Wrist or Uwatec Digital 330m Depth Gauge for max depth during free dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bodanel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Last edited:
I use the UWATEC and could not be happier. I paid about 100 less for it than your post though.

Kazoo

also for free-diving? I have a few friend who use it for diving but not for free-diving. I'm only interesed in max depth when i return to the surface because when you are at the bottom you cannot wait for the gauge to make his sampling rate (for puck in computer mode is 20 seconds but it does not say anywhere what is his sampling rate in gauge mode).

Thks

The most commonly used computer is the Suunto D4. You can find deals for the freedive-only D3 (used) but it has been known to be glitchy, which might be why it's for sale, if you get my drift.

Sample rate is 5 per second, IIRC. In freedive mode, when at the surface, it displays last dive depth, last dive duration, and time since surfacing.

It is a bit expensive, but if you are serious about apnea it's worth it.

Also, the Oceanic Geo (same as the Aeris Manta) has a nice freedive mode also. Sample rate is 1 per second. You can't scroll back through the dive history in freedive mode, but otherwise it's like the D4, and about $US 100 cheaper.

All the best, James

@fdog

I dont need a fancy computer because i will not use most of the functions and is not worth paying for them. I want a device that will measure the max depth. In my part of the world half a year you cannot do recreational diving(scuba or apnea) so buying a device that doesnt do anything in that time it is not cost efficient.
Thks anyway for taking the time and answering.

Oops, I just looked at the manual, the D4 (in freedive mode) records at 3 samples per second.

I understand your needs; however, if you want the fast sampling rate, then you need a computer with a freedive mode, like the D4 or Manta. The D4 is the fastest I know of, at 3 samples/sec.

If you're using a diving computer, I haven't encountered one with a better sample rate than 1 sample every 15 seconds. It would suck to have to hang out at the plate for 15 seconds just to make sure the depth gets recorded.

If you don't need the readout, and just need to document the dive, take a look at the ReefNet Sensus Ultra. The sample interval can be set as fast as 1 sample per second, and depth resolution is 1 cm.

All the best, James

I need to see the max depth reached so i now how deep did i manage to go. I do not need to log the dive, water temperature etc. A small gauge will be ok if you now one (from what google says uwatec is small enough)

I am not sure how long the uwatec takes to cycle. My watch gives max depth immediately. Citizen Eco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom