mares Ti titanium regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the kind words Greg... I realize that the spherical core seat is the reason for the 2 year service interval... but I'm sure you have also seen a million times, people getting water in their first stages. The resulting corrosion on the untreated brass parts inside a reg can start tearing up seats, o-rings, etc pretty darn quick. Then the combo of titanium and the spherical seat makes for a pretty bullet proof reg. In all honesty, I've been diving one for about 3 years now.. and have not cracked the case. And if I were to head out to Palau tomorrow for a 2 week trip - I'd toss it in my bag with confidence that I'd have no problems.

When Mares was sitting on a pile of these they were going to send back to Italy, I got talking to the president of the company, and basically, they didn't want to eat crow in front of the Italians and have to return them... So they screamed me a deal on them where I could retail them out for $250 less than what my dealer cost was a year ago!

I also agree with you on the bubble dispersion. Some people really like the small proton - and we sell a bunch of those in the V16 Spherical Core Seat setup... but perhaps it's just because I'm old fashioned... I like the bigger second stage.

Again, thanks for the kind words, and reading back over my other post - I hope I didn't come off like I was being a jerk... I normally only do that on Fridays....

Reactions: ZIL
scubatoys:
Thanks for the kind words Greg... I realize that the spherical core seat is the reason for the 2 year service interval... but I'm sure you have also seen a million times, people getting water in their first stages. The resulting corrosion on the untreated brass parts inside a reg can start tearing up seats, o-rings, etc pretty darn quick. Then the combo of titanium and the spherical seat makes for a pretty bullet proof reg. In all honesty, I've been diving one for about 3 years now.. and have not cracked the case. And if I were to head out to Palau tomorrow for a 2 week trip - I'd toss it in my bag with confidence that I'd have no problems.

When Mares was sitting on a pile of these they were going to send back to Italy, I got talking to the president of the company, and basically, they didn't want to eat crow in front of the Italians and have to return them... So they screamed me a deal on them where I could retail them out for $250 less than what my dealer cost was a year ago!

I also agree with you on the bubble dispersion. Some people really like the small proton - and we sell a bunch of those in the V16 Spherical Core Seat setup... but perhaps it's just because I'm old fashioned... I like the bigger second stage.

Again, thanks for the kind words, and reading back over my other post - I hope I didn't come off like I was being a jerk... I normally only do that on Fridays....

Larry,

I didn't find your post offensive at all! I've been diving for nearly 30 years now and have come in contact with many individuals over those years. From your writings, it appears as though you can serve as a positive role model for other shop owners. My tenure as the Science Editor of Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine led me to have a great interest in regulator development. Regulators are often one of the most neglected pieces of equipment, which shocks me when one considers that your life literally hinges on it.

I may be giving you a call one day soon to check on some gear that I've been eyeballing lately. Your prices certainly appear to be very reasonable.

Best Wishes,

Greg

Great! Please do call... but do us both a favor... Not over this weekend. We're moving into the new shop! If the city gives us our Certificate of Occupancy tomorrow. I got the live webcam up and running in the new place now... Check it out if you want: ScubaToys.com Webcam

You can spy on us Sunday and see if we're moving stuff!

I'm a repair tech, former mechanical engineer, who's gained quite a reputation as being one of the best reg repairmen around. What I have to say is don't get too preoccupied with reccomended service intervals. It really depends on how often a reg is used, how well it's taken care of, and in what kind of conditions it's used. IMHO, those should be desinated as MINIMUM service intervals for the average recreational diver. Tech divers and frequent divers should have their stuff checked out more frequently.

I've been diving a Ruby for three years now. It gets anywhere from 10-20 dives a week ranging from 75' to 250' in saltwater. I take very good care of it and it's my favorite reg. That said, mine needs a rebuild about every 3-4 months. Still I wouldn't trade it for anything but a new Ruby or a new Abyss.

We also use V-16's for our rental regs. Out of about 20 of these, I've replaced 2 poppets in the last 2 years. So, I'd say their pretty darn durable. It's hard to compare durabilty between these and our personal regs, though b/c of the tremendous difference in frequency of use. So, don't draw any conclusions about the durabilty of a V-16 vs. a Ruby from what I've said.

As far as a Ruby vs. an Abyss, I can't see any difference between the two other than cost. Both use the same poppet seat which is the part that wears out.

obxdivemaster:
As far as a Ruby vs. an Abyss, I can't see any difference between the two other than cost. Both use the same poppet seat which is the part that wears out.

Not really the same... The Ruby has a spherical ruby... and a nylon seat... The Abyss is flat and rubber. Now you can convert an Abyss into a spherical core seat... so maybe that was done to yours. It's about $50 worth of parts.... But out of the box, the guts are totally different.

Larry,
You're probably right. The abysses I've worked on were from experienced divers who dive a lot. They are the kind of people who would have made the conversion.

These regs that I speak of have a spherical poppet like the ruby only made of stainless.

It's a great design in that as the seat wears the intermediate will begin to creep up and you'll notice positive pressure breathing. The flat one on the other - when they start to go, the intermediate pressure goes through the roof and you've got free flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom