Mares vs SP JETS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VIE'S always stciking by his JetFins :wink: . Will I have to change the straps to spring because the strap for the Jets look like they'll break easly?[/QUOTE]

I do stick by my Jetfins (I use them most of the time) but I also have a pair of Apollo Bio-fin Pro. I do use them too and think they are great for easy recreational dives but if I'm at a site where I don't quite know what to expect I use the Jetfins. You can get spring heels for the Jetfins. I use Halcyon's (http://www.halcyon.net/acc/springheels.shtml) but others make 'em too.

Question. Has anyone experienced this:

I wouldn't dive with anything but Jets for my Drysuit but when I was in Hawaii last June I wore a 3mm wetsuit and my feet were sinking like crazy. Unless I was kicking I couldn't keep horizontal trim. Any thoughts? I'm going back in Feb. and I was thinking of using Quattros on that trip.

CALI68:
Question. Has anyone experienced this:

I wore a 3mm wetsuit and my feet were sinking like crazy. Unless I was kicking I couldn't keep horizontal trim. Any thoughts?

Yes, when I first started using them my feet would sink. I was so used to my light Apollo Bio-fins and the first time with the Jetfins felt very weird. I couln't keep horizontal trim either - I had been invited to dive in the G.O.T. at the New England Aquarium in Boston that day, so it was quite embarassing as my struggle was observed by the residences of the G.O.T. as well as the many visitors to the aquarium. I still do most of my dives in a 3mm wetsuit and the problem has disappeared - I guess I just needed time to get used to the new fins.

I also have both Jets and Quattros. I find the Jets the better of the two, although the Quattros are not a distant second. In fact, IMHO, the quattros have one advantage over the Jets, they slide off easier, as with the Jets its rubber against the rubber of my booties. All things considered though, I go for my jets every time. I do use the quattros, but mostly for snorkeling or just for plain variety.

I to have both Jets and Quattros. I like my jets better , shorter and seem to have way more power and love the springs however I still use my Quattros as I feel like it and still feel like they are a good fin , persomnally think its matter of personal choice try both in pond, quarry or pool first .

Vie:
Yes, when I first started using them my feet would sink. I was so used to my light Apollo Bio-fins and the first time with the Jetfins felt very weird. I couln't keep horizontal trim either - I had been invited to dive in the G.O.T. at the New England Aquarium in Boston that day, so it was quite embarassing as my struggle was observed by the residences of the G.O.T. as well as the many visitors to the aquarium. I still do most of my dives in a 3mm wetsuit and the problem has disappeared - I guess I just needed time to get used to the new fins.

Thanks for the info but all I could think about when reading that post was "damn that must have been fun to dive in that aquarium!" :) I was at The Monterey Bay Aquarium a couple weeks ago and I watched this Guy diving and feeding the fish in the kelp forest tank. Leopard Sharks, Monkey Faced Eels all acting like cats running to eat when they hear the can opener....I swear I'd pay big buck to do that just once.

CALI68:
Thanks for the info but all I could think about when reading that post was "damn that must have been fun to dive in that aquarium!" :) I was at The Monterey Bay Aquarium a couple weeks ago and I watched this Guy diving and feeding the fish in the kelp forest tank. Leopard Sharks, Monkey Faced Eels all acting like cats running to eat when they hear the can opener....I swear I'd pay big buck to do that just once.

I got lucky with being invited to dive at NEQ - usually they choose divers by a lottery system and they do not accept pay divers. Underwater World at Sentosa, Singapore, however, will let you dive (without fins - very strange) after paying a fee. I dove there with my girlfriend earlier this year. I didn't expect much but it ended up being a lot of fun - we fed a group of eagle rays and a dugong. It was an incredible experience but sad too in a way. I do enjoy visiting aquariums but I now have very mixed feelings about zoos/aquariums.

http://www.underwaterworld.com.sg/home.html

The Great Orca:
OK,
I have Split fin, but I also want a back up fin, I started a Volo thread but it turned out equal hated it and equal like it. Now, which would be the better fin, ScubaPro Jet Fins or Mares Avanti Quattro.

Hi there! My wife had a pair of ScubaPro Twin Jet (split fin) but subsequently changed to the ScubaPro Jet Fins, similar to what I currently use. Now, we are looking at having a 2nd pair which you may call it as having a back up fin... :)

We both like the Force Fin, particularly the Force Fin PRO model. The best thing about it is that is much lighter, equally having good thrust and its short in length too! Great for travelling.

Have a check at:www.eko-apac.com/forcefinhome.html Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom