Marine biology careers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whoa doggies. One step at a time folks. Get your BS first, underwaterman. Nothing wrong with a degree in aquaculture, marine biology, limnology, ecology, fisheries sciences, etc, etc....
Keep your options open. Start with a general degree like fisheries sciences or biology. See what strikes your fancy while you put in some book time. I have a BS in fisheries, and have done right fine for myself. I hold a position that is equivalent to colleagues with masters and Ph.D. Experience plays a big part in career advancement. A lot of times you just have to eat your way up the food chain. Don't expect to start on top. I'm not shooting down the advance degree route, but the tone I'm receiving out there that you can't do diddly unless you have a Ph.D. Not true.
I went to TAMU, and would highly recommend it. However, other good undergraduate fishery programs are offered in Texas colleges, like Texas Tech. You just need to do a little research.
Good luck.

Gig 'Em

Diving Dutch:
I went to TAMU, and would highly recommend it. However, other good undergraduate fishery programs are offered in Texas colleges, like Texas Tech.
Gig 'Em

That be traitor talk!

Hi Zack,

I agree with Diving Dutch: get your BSc first and then decide from there. When you enter your college years you'll see what interests you. Who knows, by your 4th year you may not like what you're doing or find something you're more interested in and switch out.

I finished a BSc in physiology pharmacology and now I'm doing a MSc in marine sciences, specifically looking at marine natural products.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that nothing is wrong with any of the fields Diving Dutch mentioned, but there's a lot more to marine than just aquaculture, ecology, limnology, oceanography, (add your traditional marine science field here), etc. so you don't have to necessarily limit yourself to specific choices. Branch out to see what interests you and in the end any science field can lead you back to the sea.

I wish you all the best in your studies bro!

Probably is cheaper (tuition-wise). I went to Silliman University in the Philippines, got my BSc major in Bio with emphasis in marine bio. Got lucky after graduation and landed a couple of jobs immediately although most jobs here are project-based and last several years at most. Now I'm working as a dive guide and moonlighting for the SillimanUniv. Marine Lab; pay won't make me rich but it keeps me happy. Mixing being a dive guide and being a research diver is a great way to get wet and get paid for it!

Anyone, feel free to drop me a prv8 messg for details about Silliman Univ and/or the Marine Lab.

cheers,
marku

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom