Marine life bites...or that's a moray

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember that song "It's A Moray"? (Sung to the "It's Amore")

Whats that thing in the reef with the big shiny teeth...
It's a moray!

Stick your hand in the crack and you won't get it back...
It's a moray!

LOL, that song was great.

I have never had problems with sharks. They just seems to glide on by. But Barracuda have worried me a few times. Example, my partner was going for the ladder to get out of the water when I saw this Barracuda coming up from below fast, heading right for her. I was about 15 ft down on the other side of the ladder so I could see it going for her.

Dunno why, but I started up on an intercept course and we both reached her fins about the same time. For some reason the Barracuda stopped about 6 feet in front of me (we were facing each other) and headed back down. Weird, it was like a missile that stopped and hung a left.

I don't mind swimming with sharks, but the Barracuda don't seem to friendly.

As for moray, they seems to take off when they see me. If I hold real still they come up and hover then move on. Never had a problem with them either.

Most of the problems I have seen is when people are looking at their console taking a compass heading. They then swim right into things, like Barracuda!!!

Pay attention to your surroundings and you'll live a lot longer=-)

With the exception of the eel at Stingray Alley I have only encountered them in coral heads....They have always given the impresion that they would kick a** if messed with. I have seen one attack...see prior entry about buddy at SA.

Speaking of which....Have any of you ever had the pleasure of diving with Fergie...The young Canadian that works with Bob Sotos in Grand Cayman. He was the blond on the cover of Sport Diver October 2002. Nice guy...thanks for bringing the eels in....Just DONT get him drunk...He really loved my wife. Our relationship ended at that time. But he is really got a way with the eels.

I say touch what you can without hurting youself or the creature.

Good Times.:)

(queue the Heart soundtrack)...

I have experienced the close company of a juvenile barracuda while snorkeling near Key West. The 3-footer hovered roughly five feet from me for several minutes even as I moved on to a different area. I have since read that barracuda are by nature very curious and exhibit this behavior all the time. But I have never heard of one attacking a diver. NarcT's encounter was the most aggressive behavior I have heard of, at least where food is not involved.

Anyone have other 'Cuda stories?

[BTW SARmedic--love that campy classic. Who wrote the marine version?]

sundog once bubbled...
[BAnyone have other 'Cuda stories?[/B]

A friend of mine has been nipped multiple times. Of course he feeds them out of his mouth..... :)

[BTW SARmedic--love that campy classic. Who wrote the marine version?]

that would be "Barefoot Man" from Grand Cayman.

WW

My last three dives off of Palm Beach I have been followed by barracuda. The first time I thought it was my imagination/paranoia being a new diver. An example of one dive...I was in about 60ft doing a drift dive. I turned around to find 4 cudas hovering waaayyy too close. So I kept an eye on them and slowly moved away. Everywhere I went, up/down/around the rest of the group, they just followed me. They never exhibited aggressive behavior. They just wouldn't go away. The DM (who was on all three dives - different months) said it was the most bizzare thing he had ever seen.

Maybe my looks scared them!!! LOL

Referring to the original post, it seems the woman was bit by the extremely rare vampire moray. This moray searches the reefs forever but there are not alot of them around. :D

quote:

"They love me
My last three dives off of Palm Beach I have been followed by barracuda. "

It may be time to give up that Eau de Grouper cologne kjunheart. :wink:

Kjunheart,

Just got back from diving in Xcalak, Mexico. I was also followed by 6-foot barracudas during two dives there. I was also reading one of the Paul Human "Reef Fish" books. He mentions that Barracuda will often exhibit this behavior, shadowing divers, apparently more out of curiosity than anything else. Makes your butt pucker a bit though, doesn't it?

sundog once bubbled...
Makes your butt pucker a bit though, doesn't it?

LMAO that is the first time I have ever heard that!!! What a visual! But, yes I guess it does!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom