Marine saves Chinese diver - Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Marine saves Chinese scuba diver from drowning off Okinawa
Gunnery Sgt. Scott Dahn was assisting his wife with an underwater rescue course last month at Maeda Point, Okinawa, when he noticed a Chinese scuba diver flailing in panic.

Ching-Yi Sze — who was honeymooning on the southern Japanese island prefecture during the May 20 incident — ripped off her mask. When a dive leader put it back on, she pulled out her regulator, which he also replaced, said Dahn, who initially assumed the two were training.

But when the woman again removed her mask and regulator, Dahn — a 3rd Maintenance Battalion training chief based at Camp Kinser — immediately responded.

“She was flailing in the water, which is usually the sign of a panicked diver,” he said.

When Dahn reached Sze, who was 30 feet away, he put the regulator back in her mouth. She spat it out, so he grabbed it and pushed against her teeth until she opened up, he said. Dahn then held the regulator to her face and signaled to the dive leader that they needed to head up.

By the time they reached the surface, Sze was unresponsive and barely breathing. Her lips were blue, her eyes had rolled back into her head, and she was foaming at the mouth because of the saltwater she had ingested.

Dahn inflated her buoyancy control vest and began towing her to shore.

When they reached land, he carried her up several flights of stairs and helped her breath through an oxygen tank while his wife, April, called for paramedics.

Dahn laid Sze on her left side while she coughed up seawater.

“I put my head to her chest to listen to her breathing,” he said. “I didn’t hear any gurgling, and after 10 to 15 minutes the color began to return to her face.”

Sze made a full recovery after a short hospital stay and finished her honeymoon with a snorkeling trip before returning to Hong Kong, Dahn said.

The pair have spoken several times since the incident and are now friends on social media.

“I don’t know if my husband could find another girl like me,” Sze said in a Marine Corps statement about the incident. “I can’t express how grateful I am for [Dahn].”

Geez talk about bringing some realism to the rescue course!
Semper Fi!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom