Marmora Mine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artw

Reaction score
While I was visiting Marmora I came across the old mine http://marmora.org/mine.html just wondering if anyone has thought of diving in this, is it possible, prohibited, or who we would have to contact for permission?

Imagine 400 feet of clear (I guess) water, in an old 550 foot deep iron ore mine

secure_picture.pl

They already looked into it and from the discussion earlier it is off limits to divers or anyone for what it sounds. It is nice and clear though and deep.

artw once bubbled...
While I was visiting Marmora I came across the old mine http://marmora.org/mine.html just wondering if anyone has thought of diving in this, is it possible, prohibited, or who we would have to contact for permission?

Imagine 400 feet of clear (I guess) water, in an old 550 foot deep iron ore mine

secure_picture.pl

From the look of the pictures and the description, this is simply a spring-fed quarry. Would not think there's much to warrant diving there. The water will be cold, the vis will likely get murky below 100 feet and doubtful if there is any machinery or the like to look at. There will be a ramp and road at some point and probably "steps" at various levels, but if it's the 400 feet of clear water you're dreaming about, don't think you'd find it.

Thetford Mine in Quebec is similar... and diving there is allowed.

Speaking as someone who has over 25 yrs experience in the mining industry and who currently works for a consulting engineering firm in the business I would urge extreme caution around old mines.

I frequently visit them in the course of my work (people often want to reopen old mines) and they can be very dangerous places. Particularly if they have be left to age with no one bringing down the loose rock. I have been to this site in the course of my work and I would recommend caution. Deep open pit mines can develop large wedge failures that bring down thousands of tonnes of rock.

Ontario limestone quarries are generally much safer because of their limited depths and therefore limited exposure of the high wall.

If I was the owner of this property i wouldn't want anyone near it for the liability concerns.

That is something I had not thought of.

thanks for bringing that up....

:eek:

Hey I don’t dive but I was looking up stuff on Marmora Mine. I was just there last weekend and the water is beyond clear and so nice to swim in. It was surprisingly warm. There are lots of people who go cliff jumping there. No it’s not allowed but it is open and there are people there every day either jumping or swimming. I went to jump and it was incredible. We talked to some local people who were there and they said no one has ever bothered them. Just thought I would let you know that people are there all the time. And again the water + scenery was just beautiful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom