Marsa Alam - House Reef Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be doing the Emperor Elite liveaboard in late November. Dive buddy (instructor) and I (AOW) haven't been diving for a few years, so we'd like to do a couple of shore dives in the days before the liveaboard. We'll have been traveling across Egypt for three weeks by that point, so want something kinda chill and easy going. We'd strongly prefer shore diving at the hotel on our own timeframe. Any recommendations for a decent hotel with good dive shop / house reef? The diving is more important that the accommodations, but we're pretty open. I was hoping for Marsa Shagra, but they are fully booked.

Marsa Shagra would have been my recommendation as well... have you checked sister location Marsa Nakari?

I haven't, but I will. Marsa Shagra may have a tent available. Not so thrilled about the shared bath (more because I'd rather unpack my toiletries and leave them than anything else). But maybe it's worth considering for the diving?

We refrain from the tents because of the heat ... but that should not be a point in November. And the shared bath out of convenience... Others select it for exactly these tents...
But it is worth for the diving and for the desert buffet in the evening... see here. We may get another report from @dflaher soon...

Emperor liveaboards usually depart from Port Ghalib.

If your Marsa Shagra visit isn't possible or you don't want extra travelling by road to Marsa Shagra, you could consider 'day' diving from Port Ghalib with Emperor.

Talk to Emperor about the options, they defienetly offer day diving from boats from Port Ghalib, they may offer shore based diving on a local house reef (sorry i can't recommend a hotel in Port Ghalib).

Or talk to them about shore diving from Wadi Sabarah Lodge, where they have just opened a new dive centre. I think it's quite near Marsa Shagra.

I've done day boat diving with emperor from Port Ghalib about 3 times and they are great people. I haven't been for about 10 years though.

I'm currently trying to choose between Wadi Sabarah or a liveabaord in early January.

Hope some of that helps.

I have stayed in 3 corners Fayrouz marsa alam quite a number of years ago, they had a decent dive center, house reef as well. ..nearby marina, so, if your lob is departing from Marsa Gharib, it would be very convenient.

That's unfortunate that Marsa Shagra is booked. It really does meet all of your requirements, especially if you are sailing out of Port Ghalib. How many nights would you be staying? I ask because the inconveniences of a hut may be doable if only for a few nights. As @JustSurfaceInterval said they have a sister property about 30 minutes to the south. The diving here has been great, but the resort does seem to be filling up. We are headed to Elphinstone via zodiac tomorrow morning. This is a special excursion not included in the shore diving package.

Check out Red Sea Diving Safari resorts. They have 3 different resorts, all with spectacular house reefs. I recommend the wadi lahami one. But that one you cant directly enter from the shore but thet take youn by zodic. Also it is quite remote in its location, but thats what makes it good…

I recommend the wadi lahami one. But that one you cant directly enter from the shore but thet take youn by zodic. Also it is quite remote in its location, but thats what makes it good…
Just want to point out that Wadi Lahami is 2.5 hours driving time from RMF, so nearly to the Sudan border. It could be an option if the other resorts are unavailable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom