Martha's Quarry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold compared to what? I've been diving Martha's on and off for a decade in nothing more than a skin suit usually. During the hot summer, it's pretty comfortable until the first thermocline (30 ft or so, variable during the year). Then it cools off in a hurry. If you want to visit the bus, bring your 6mm...the cold at 50ft will go right through you..

Cold at the bus. not that bad at the buildings in the warm months.

I was out there a couple of weeks ago and was roasting in a 5/4 fullsuit when shallower than about 23 feet. I'm going out there to assist with an O/W class this next weekend and will only wear a 3. And a thin hooded vest to protect my head ridges from sunburn while on the surface.

So what's cold? I was at Haigh Quarry last weekend in Kankakee, Illinois and it was 48 degrees at 80 feet. How deep is Martha's? Is it that cold? And does Fred have his compressor fixed? Hate to come all the way down and not have air.

So what's cold? I was at Haigh Quarry last weekend in Kankakee, Illinois and it was 48 degrees at 80 feet. How deep is Martha's? Is it that cold? And does Fred have his compressor fixed? Hate to come all the way down and not have air.

Martha's is 58' at the bus. The thermocline where that sits I think is less than 55 degrees year round. Shallow depths are comfortable during the summer.

Fred's compressor still wasn't fixed as of last Sunday. He was going to take the motor home this week to try to service it. If I were you, I'd bring air. I'll be doing that myself.

Bumping an old thread. I'm meeting some friends there Sunday. I'll give a report on it next week. I know it will be cold. I'm diving dry and the other 3 guys are wearing 7mil suits. I think we'll by OK temp wise.

Fred is a nice guy. The quarry is larger than I expected. I did expect the deeper area to be larger. I was in a drysuit and was uncomfortably warm unless I was on the bottom in one of the 50' areas. The vis was 20-25', not bad for a quarry. There aren't a lot of amenities, take what you need with you including air, food, and spare parts. (I blew a hose o-ring, glad I had a replacement and tools with me) There is no dive shop there if you need something.

It's a bit of a walk to get to the steps but the entry steps and 4' deep platform are nice. I was in double 95's. They got heavy walking back up to the picnic table. On my next trip, I'll be in a single tank and wetsuit. It would have made my day a lot easier than the drysuit and doubles.

Hi all,
Not sure if anyone will check this today, but NP251 and I are moving to Nashville and thought we'd check out the Quarry today. Is it still open? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks much!
Katie

Hi all,
Not sure if anyone will check this today, but NP251 and I are moving to Nashville and thought we'd check out the Quarry today. Is it still open? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks much!
Katie

I've not heard any comments about the quarry yet this year. Operation is seasonal and usually weekends only. Fred Massie (Saigon Fred) monitors these boards and is the operator of the quarry. If you have facebook you can message him and get the info straight from the horse's mouth. He's Fred Massie on facebook.

I've not heard any comments about the quarry yet this year. Operation is seasonal and usually weekends only. Fred Massie (Saigon Fred) monitors these boards and is the operator of the quarry. If you have facebook you can message him and get the info straight from the horse's mouth. He's Fred Massie on facebook.

Fred posted on Facebook back on April 7th that Martha's is open for the season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom