Mask skirts: Black or clear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it does come down to fit as a prioriyt, and then personal preference on skirt colour. Personally I prefer black. Mainly because I cant stand the amount of reflection that comes in on clear skirts, I find it really distracting.

Ford - Chevy
East Coast (USA) - West Coast (USA)
Strawberry Jelly - Grape Jam
McDonalds - Burger King
Red Wine - White Wine
Football - Futbol
Driving on the Right Side of the Road - Driving on the Left Side (or correct side as they say in UK)
Apple Pie - Cherry Pie
American League (MLB) - National League (MLB)
Ex-Wife - Future Wife
Split Fins - Solid Fins
BDC - BP/W
Black Mask - Clear Mask

:D

I like clear because of the increase peripheral vision. I can see light and shadows that aren't visible thru a black skirt. Diving with a black skirt feels like diving with blinders on to me.

Thanks for the candid input folks! One more question I didn't put in my OP was the take on framed or frameless? I see claims that frameless designs with the strap directly on the skirt offers better fit. I don't really have much opinion one way or the other....yet. Is one better than another or is it still down to personal preference? Thanks again.

Thanks for the candid input folks! One more question I didn't put in my OP was the take on framed or frameless? I see claims that frameless designs with the strap directly on the skirt offers better fit. I don't really have much opinion one way or the other....yet. Is one better than another or is it still down to personal preference? Thanks again.

whichever that fit your face the best! Everything else is secondary.

Update: Just got an Atomic Subframe black skirt at my LDS for a great deal. Seems to fit great. I've normally used mono pane masks but the Subframe doesn't seem to restrict my line of vision any more than the Visage I had. Eager to get in the water!

I prefer black simply because all my dive friends all use black skirts and I don't feel safe diving in "mixed team" situations ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom