Mask smashed on face...nad it hurt!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Head strap definitely not too tight but will double check. Mask seals fairly well. Certification is PADI Open Water. Equalizing ears is easy but I'll try giving effort to the mask as well. I'm just confused because I thought I was doing that... I'll post an update after tomorrow morning's dive.

Not equalizing the mask is definitely what happened with you. Unfortunately, you may have two very black eyes tomorrow.

Like was said above, equalize the mask every few feet just as you equalize your ears.

I have had it before where I delayed with equalizing the mask and then when I would blow through my nose, the air would just come out under the skirt and not into the mask. I would think this was because a better seal was around the outside of my nose than below where the nostrils are.

In this case, you can either ascend, or just break the seal of the mask from your face with your hands. That will immediately equalize it. It may also partially flood it, but now just clear it.

I'm curious. How fast was the descent to 80 ft and was this by accident? Could it have been that you stopped equalizing the mask at some point when it became easier to equalize your ears past the 1st atmosphere under water? When I do a Valsalva I always stop the pinch just before I stop the exhale. It seems to take care of the mask equalization issue without overdoing it and fogging it up.

Was this your first dive of the day or first of the trip where someone presumably led an OW certed diver they don't know past the recommended 60 ft limit and you may have been a bit nervous or excited?

Head strap definitely not too tight but will double check. Mask seals fairly well. Certification is PADI Open Water. Equalizing ears is easy but I'll try giving effort to the mask as well. I'm just confused because I thought I was doing that... I'll post an update after tomorrow morning's dive.

How are you scuba diving without a mask? Do you suck water down your nose and choke?
If so I think your nose breathing may be the problem as I explained before.

Solution would be gaining independent control of your Soft Palate & Epiglottis.
If the two are synced as is with nose breathers, there's the possibility that you suck the mask to vacuum on the inhale, then close your soft palate and exhale only through the mouth, leaving your mask in vacuum.
Other nose breathers are "luckier" and don't shunt the soft palate on exhale.

Mask equalization should really be passive like your sinuses. If you have to think to equalize it, you have a bit of congestion usually or you're a nose breather.

Couple threads around with an exercise to get independent control.
Here's one, see post 13.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...up-your-nose-when-you-remove-your-mask-2.html

I normally have no trouble equalizing my mask pressure - it usually just seems to take care of itself most of the time without thinking. But during one of my OWC dives I had a very short, sudden mask squeeze during a poorly controlled descent (and pogoing down fast, then up 15ft and then down again 10ft to avoid crashing into the platform. I may have stopped exhaling through my nose , or maybe the mask skirt got vacuum sealed to my nostrils for a second? In any case, the sudden pressure on my mask only lasted a few seconds until I exhaled through my nose, and I had no pain after that.

But that night I saw teeny little bit of blood in the white of my eye, just peeking out from the below the bottom lid. And true to the classic descriptions of mask-squeeze ("sub-sceleral hematoma"?), the white of that eye slowly turned dark red over the next week as the blood slowly migrated. At one point I had no white showing in one eye. I had to swear to friends I wasn't becoming a zombie.

Luckily it cleared up without going through the shades of green and yellow that some people report (it's basically a bruise, and the blood has to be reabsorbed.) Here's a pic about 24 hours after the squeeze... funny thing, my phone's "red eye" removing didn't work this time!

zombie_eye.jpg

Haven't had any problems since, but maybe I should get a different mask with more room for my ample proboscis?

As others have said you need to equalize your mask. There was simply too much pressure. The idea is to equalize before it gets painful. Good luck.

A quick update... Just got back from great day. Mask started to squeeze...again. Cleared ears as usual and frequently exhaled through nose as I descended. Around 30ish feet I held both hands around the seal of the mask and blew somewhat aggressively. Enough to float the mask off my face(sort of). The mask seated back on my face, stopped the squeeze effect, and had no further problems. I noticed I was consistently exhaling a bit through my nose during the rest of the dives. I spoke with a couple of the dive masters and they agreed I should be able to equalize the mask without such aggressive maneuvers. Oh well, As I figured...it's just me. Thank you all for quick advise. Three more days of diving to look forward to.

Not just you. Sounds like it could be your mask. I wonder if the nose pocket is sealing a bit too tight around your nose. That way, when you exhale, it's blowing bubbles out the bottom of the mask, but not doing much for the air pocket around your eyes. When you held your hands to your mask, you may have disturbed the seal around the nose pocket a bit. Since you've got three more days of diving, see if you could swap masks with a DM or someone on one of the dives. If you find the problem goes away, you'll have your solution.

A quick update... Just got back from great day. Mask started to squeeze...again. Cleared ears as usual and frequently exhaled through nose as I descended. Around 30ish feet I held both hands around the seal of the mask and blew somewhat aggressively. Enough to float the mask off my face(sort of). The mask seated back on my face, stopped the squeeze effect, and had no further problems. I noticed I was consistently exhaling a bit through my nose during the rest of the dives. I spoke with a couple of the dive masters and they agreed I should be able to equalize the mask without such aggressive maneuvers. Oh well, As I figured...it's just me. Thank you all for quick advise. Three more days of diving to look forward to.

There is no reason to uncomfortable with mask squeeze on a dive. If this ever happens again just break the seal on the mask and clear.

Pretty classic mask squeeze. I've seen many cases of this. The subconjunctival hemorrhage is impressive but generally harmless. Makes for great a great zombie look around Halloween, though, as one of my patients found. Remember to breathe a little air out your nose early and often during descent. If not, you can reach a point where the soft tissues of the nose are compressed by the mask and the airway is occluded, so you simply can't blow out and you must ascend to clear. Often at this point, the damage is done, and red eyes are in your future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom