Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The practice of closely spaced incremental recognitions of improvement is a great tool when working with young people to keep them motivated in the learning process. Think about schools, the tons of trophy's given out in youth athletics and yes even the merit badges given out in my beloved scouting programs. PADI merely is using the same tactics in their marketing driven program to appeal to the masses.

The skills learned are valuable, but we have to remember for the most part they are not certifying that you have mastered the subject, only that you have participated.

GOG: Sorta like not keeping score so the wimps won't feel bad about themselves?

DevonDiver:
In the PADI system, the MSD rating is the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving. That's a fair claim....it is exactly that.

It isn't at all. I'm sure some folks with that title are exactly what you would expect from your definition, but the title is no guarantee that they even have a fairly good grasp of buoyancy control, no guarantee that they don't dive while flailing their hands around all the time. The title means very little, it means they have logged at least 50 dives (unless they bought the card prior to that requirement being added), it means they have 5 specialties in addition to a Rescue certification (unless they bought the card prior to that requirement being added). It means nothing else. It certainly does not mean that they've reached the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving.

And here I would've figured that the master / journeyman thing was just put in place by unions to protect their old guard. You could easily have someone who is just a natural that could do the work the 'master' does, but has to still go thru all the cert's and jump thru all the hoops and pay all the money for 'education' when in all reality, they only picked up bits and pieces they didnt already know. And I'm sure there are 'master' electricians that only have the 'c-card' because they did jump thru all the hoops, paid for all the certs 'did the time' and 'demonstrated skills' but still really should'nt even be allowed to change the batteries in the remote..

Yep, 'master' trades and 'master' diver are totally different beasts.. Oh wait..

Yup, I tend to avoid anyone with master, professional, or whatever tacked to their name. In my opinion there are those who do the job, and those who talk about how good they are at doing the job.

I just finished my NAUI Master Diver course - so does that make me a hypocrite? Personally I didn't see much difference between OW, AOW, and Master Diver. :idk:

I've always wanted to walk up to my Open Water instructor and say,

"We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner. Now I am the master."

Star-Wars-2.jpg

It isn't at all. I'm sure some folks with that title are exactly what you would expect from your definition, but the title is no guarantee that they even have a fairly good grasp of buoyancy control, no guarantee that they don't dive while flailing their hands around all the time. The title means very little, it means they have logged at least 50 dives (unless they bought the card prior to that requirement being added), it means they have 5 specialties in addition to a Rescue certification (unless they bought the card prior to that requirement being added). It means nothing else. It certainly does not mean that they've reached the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving.

As I'm sure you already know in your vast wisdom and sageness, there are VERY few guarantees in life.. Only one I can actually think of, and we all wind up there sometime..

The is no guarantee an asteroid isnt going to come crashing thru the ceil

When I hear any title that begins with "Master" I envision a seasoned veteran of his/her chosen field, educated and experienced.

The difference between a master electrician and a journeyman for example is usually years and thousands of hours of work plus education. Same thing for just about any trade.

I can see the need for different levels of certification in diving but I am starting to question the names they use. If I were to not have any knowledge of diving and someone were to tell me they were a "Master Diver" immediately, I would envision someone with years of diving experience and training, not someone who may have a year or two, or less under his/her belt and a couple of classes or passed a course after they got 50 dives.

This of course is my opinion. It is what I believe John and Jane Q Public think. As I said, the need for different levels is evident but the names really should be more in line with what you really are. Advanced open water diver. But master diver before you are an instructor? Don't think so. This is my perception.

I am starting to think this is more about marketing than anything.

How about AOW Level 1, 2 & 3 instead?

Again, my opinion. I don't think someone with a couple of classes and 50 dives should bear the title of "Master Diver". How about a new name?

I am in the networking technical field and there are a ton of certifications also. People shouldn't be so hung up on certifications since they do not translate into experience. In my professional world a Cisco CCIE is the top level certification and I have interviewed many of CCIE's that I would not deem master at all. In this case they were not in practice as CCIE's and just held the paper title after their technical experience drifted away.

Titles are titles and again what matters is the person's value in the certification. Personally I hold Master as a great learning path for recreational training and Tec Diving as the true "master level". Mostly because there is so much more education that is required in Tec on top of all of the experience.

In the PADI system, the MSD rating is the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving. That's a fair claim....it is exactly that.

It isn't at all. I'm sure some folks with that title are exactly what you would expect from your definition, .... It certainly does not mean that they've reached the pinnacle of non-professional, non-technical diving.

Walter, you are right. What I meant to make clear was that it was the pinnacle of the PADI system (non-pro/non-tech).

It certainly isn't any sort of pinnacle of the recreational diving community...

A "Master" diver has demonstrated a mastery of a pre-defined set of skills and material. Who defines "demonstrated", "mastery" and "material"? The training agencies do. There isn't any mystery about it - they publish their criteria for all to see.

Do some people want to quibble about the definitions and semantics? Always and forever.

There is a lot of material one could "master". Some divers are true experts in the scholastics of diving, some are good at dive procedure and safety. Some have mastered and perfected their technique, and some are fabulous swimmers. I've seen some awesome photographers, some incredible spearfishermen, and some amazing gearheads.

If your definition of "Master" is somebody who knows it all, then, at least for you, there are no "Master Divers" and never will be.

Back
Top Bottom