Master.........Really?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well said- from my observation of postings on SB and the banter about what gear or configuration is best it appears the pursuit of perfect technique, perfect trim, perfect rig set up has become for some the end goal rather than the dive itself. I wonder if the yearning for some recognised benchmark of skill is more about measuring themselves against other divers rather than personal achievements and gaining confidence to take their diving further or as you say 'dive safe and enjoy'

I have to agree with this - some people seem more hung up on what gear is used or that the person can perform a perfect helicopter turn etc than recognising that diving is supposed to be fun and just getting out there and safely enjoying the dives.

The title is what it is (for good or bad) and no one will be able to change it.

well said- from my observation of postings on SB and the banter about what gear or configuration is best it appears the pursuit of perfect technique, perfect trim, perfect rig set up has become for some the end goal rather than the dive itself. I wonder if the yearning for some recognised benchmark of skill is more about measuring themselves against other divers rather than personal achievements and gaining confidence to take their diving further or as you say 'dive safe and enjoy'

This is so true.

I had that kind of experience at a dive club at my local LDS where they were comparing badges and C-Cards etc. OTOH when I went to Scuba Club Cozumel I had no idea what certification level anyone had (unless their tank said Nitrox on it :wink: )--they all seemed to be there because they loved diving :)

People are people, egos drive a lot. Personally, I just like to chase fish. Some people want recognition for their efforts to attain some certification that they hold in high regard. Everyone has a different motivation for what they do in diving. I am mainly interested in meeting divers with the same interests. My diving interests have evolved and changed over the years, as do most people's. When I was young I wanted to be a marine biologist, when I found it was like being a starving artist, I changed my focus and just kept diving as a hobby. I started out in diving with a solid foundation and improved my knowledge of the science of diving and gained experience by diving in different waters around the world. I have planned and conducted dives from deep dives, cold water dives, cave dives, wreck dives, and even some limited salvage operations. I consider myself a seasoned and self-reliant diver. I know my limitations in physical ability and technical knowledge. I never had the time to devote to becoming a sanctioned dive master, or the interest to teach dive classes outside of my military service, or work for a dive shop. I have always been a mentor to younger or less experienced divers. I have greatly enjoyed diving and being with other divers. However, if someone's ego gets too big for the room, it becomes irresistible to poke them in fun! It is great entertainment. Part of being a well rounded person is to not be thin skinned, if you are you may find there are plenty of people like me who will punch your buttons! LOL Remember, this is supposed to be of all things fun, and enjoyable. I mainly only get serious about safety issues, and improved safety comes from good training and good information. It would be better for the industry if there was some more clearly defined definition of some of these titles handed out. I have stated that the Navy has three titles, diver, dive supervisor, and Master Diver. Master Diver represents the culmination of training on all Navy dive systems, mastering dive science as known today, chamber operations, and a couple decades of dive experience. That title deserves the acknowledgement and respect that comes as a working professional at the pinnacle of service. Just let that sink in a bit, and then think about how many titles we find among the various recreational dive associations. I think we can do better, clear the air and acknowledge the commitment made by our fellow divers to advanced training in the sport in a meaniful way. But as it exists, I couldn't tell you what the title Master Diver means, but I do know it is nowhere close to what the traditional meaning is compared to a Navy Master Diver.

I was a Band Teacher in Northern Manitoba for decades. Then became a MASTER SCUBA DIVER! And my last qualification was my 50th dive on the FL panhandle! Crap it was GOOD.

It's even harder to believe the govt. still pretty much keeps out of it. Also that it's not taxed.

First of all let me explain that I am an experienced diver 180 dives and counting 9 certs spread over 3 agencies and I still learn new things. That said I will probably never get my Master diver rating.

Master diver was a poor choice of marketing language. The training agencies goal is always to get more people through the program taking more classes and make money. I think that it is a good idea for everyone to get more experience and training especially people who dont dive every weekend. I see it as nothing more than merit badge collecting and a marketing tool rather than a real rating. If it was to be a real diver rating then there would be a crossover path for a diver coming from another agency.

Yeah, I think I see what you mean about the crossover. But you do learn important stuff--again, if you take the right specialties.

Reading over the fairly recently postings in the thread, I see a split between what some people wish this course was (if it is to exist at all), and what it's intended to do. Yes, passing the minimum requirements does not ensure that one is a 'master' scuba diver, as most of us would interpret the term. Thus, it's a misnomer, an inaccurate label. Reminiscent of the threads hotly critical of the 'Advanced Open Water' certification.

But let's say you create a 'real' master scuba diver course. I'm told Naui's was designed to instill instruction-level knowledge & skill, minus the teaching component; seems to me that should be good enough. If this is a viable plan, why don't we see this certification spoken of/taken/endorsed a lot more? How many of these, and students taking them, do you guys see 'in the wild?'

Be mindful the intent of the course (aside from turning a profit) seems to be encouraging fairly new OW divers (such as with AOW, maybe with 1 or 2 more cert.s like Nitrox & Wreck) to pursue Rescue Diver & other additional training. Many people don't want to pursue what they may interpret as 'Lifeguard training' that might pressure them to 'get involved' in a crisis (politically incorrect fact: lots of people don't want to get involved).

If you turned Master Diver into a course requiring at least 100 dives, with the kind of skills I hear about mastering in GUI Fundamentals or a good Cavern Diving course, you're aiming at a different demographic. The title might be more accurate, but you'd miss the target audience.

Your term would be more accurate. But there'd probably be fewer newbies pursuing as much ongoing training. The cost of accurate terminology might be less training for some of the diving public who stand to benefit from it.

How many people would sign up for your 'Scuba Guru' course anyway? What's our real world closest equivalent? Is it NAUI Master Diver? GUE Fundamentals, maybe with a technical level pass? For that matter, given the scope of recreational diving & the grandiosity of the term 'Master,' should a person with no technical training or experience be able to hold the label, even if his/her recreational knowledge & skill are top notch?

Richard.

P.S.: If the goal of the cert. is to recognize greatness, would that serve a purpose? Like when I see an online article that some 50'ish-looking diver I don't know got inducted into the Hall Of I Never Heard Of It for accomplishments over a lifetime. 15 Minutes later, I couldn't tell you the guy's name or what he did.

Back
Top Bottom