Mat/Tarp for Euipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for tarp, bought at Walmart, etc.!

That said, I usually don't use it during surface intervals. I always come back to my car to change out tanks, and after changing tanks I just lay the rig down on the ground. All other stuff will be laid on top of my fins. (It's going back in the water anyway.)

Once I'm done for the day, I bring out my tarp and lay my rig down, and everything else goes directly into the car after a rinse. The real reason I need a tarp at all is to avoid getting dirt on my exposure suit as I take it off.

I do lots of diving on construction sites and that means sand and dirt, lots of it.

The water is usually brown muck so keeping the dirt off of the gear is not the problem. I use a small tarp and a big towel to keep my clothes clean for the end of the day.

All of my gear gets washed every diving day anyway but it helps to keep sand out of the regulator and mask.:D

I dove with this guy once who really had put some time into making his truck dive-friendly. He had racks and shelves and drawers and stuff built in like a diveshop back room on wheels. The inside edges of his truck bed had racks for 8 tanks (4 of his and 4 for "guests"). He had repair equiptment and a parts rack & drawers. He had fresh water tanks with pumps, and as he took off each piece of gear, he washed and rinsed it and stored it away in his truck. He keeps his stuff stored in his truck all the time, and so he also has an expensive alarm system.
Anyway, he has the best mats! He bought some of that 1 inch thick rubber industral flooring material that is like a big door mat with circular patterns that lets the water go to the ground but keeps you clean above. He has two 4X4 mats. One he drops at the bed of his truck, and one he brings over and drops in front of your truck 'cause he is such a nice guy.
I keep forgetting, but one of these days I've got to get me some of this stuff!

Rick Inman once bubbled...
He had fresh water tanks with pumps, and as he took off each piece of gear, he washed and rinsed it and stored it away in his truck. He keeps his stuff stored in his truck all the time, and so he also has an expensive alarm system.

Wow. freshwater rinse tanks with pumps?

My setup isn't that far along yet, but I do have tank racks and tuff boxes for all my stuff. I'm not even sure what he needs the mats for with a rig like that. I slide everything up to the back of the bed, set up my rigs on the tailgate, and slip right into the them from a sitting position on the gate. It's much easier than lifting it up from the ground.

After the dive, I have my plastic bins all ready, and toss everything right in. We sit on the tailgate one at a time to take off the wetsuits, and help each other pull the last bit off of the ankles. If you do it right, the wetsuit won't even touch the ground.

As soon as I get home, the bins slide out and get filled with rinse water. I can even beach dive this way and not get a drop of sand on anything except my bootsoles.

Scott

I use the lid of my Rubbermaid storage container. Durable, and one less thing to carry.

2 Bar once bubbled...
...grass, dirt, and sand...

Grass, dirt, and sand are the least of your concerns. Tarps also keep ground wasps from crawling into your wetsuit while you're getting the rest of your gear ready. :eek:

ScottyK once bubbled...

I'm not even sure what he needs the mats for with a rig like that.

Scott

So you don't get your feeties dirty...

Rick Inman once bubbled...

So you don't get your feeties dirty...

He has mobile rinse tanks, but doesn't have an official pair of after dive sandals? Complete with dive flag logo's of course :D

I was actually kinda kidding before. A good mat set is probably the perfect finishing touch to his creation.

Scott

My girl and I each have our own tarp that we spread out behind our mini van. Works great as you can sit and suit up and such and each of us are responsible for our tarp.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom