Maui Dive Shop boat sink[ing]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Al Mialkovsky:
Actually yeah I am. I have checkouts for open water for two and a couple of specialties to do. I just love writing off these trips ya know :)

I heard friday they closed the crater to everyone so it appears that, ummm, everyone is probably a bit pissed at the MDS these days :)
Yeah, apparently only one snorkel boat was allowed in at the complete opposite end (Reef's End?) of the crater. The only other boats out there were ones assisting with the recovery.

It was only closed one day last weekend (after it first went down) and Friday, I believe.

Some of the dive boats did the backwall instead... but that doesn't help the huge snorkel tours. :)

Maybe the MDS should include a few cases for beer to soothe the guys who had to take a day off????

I can't help but wonder if the snorkel and dive ops can make a claim against MDS's insurance for lost revenue for having Molokini closed....

KrisB:
jlivengo:

2. if he had given the order to abandon ship earlier, there is a chance it wouldn't have even gone down -- at that point, the inspection plate should have been above sea level.

Not sure if it applies to this situation where reducing the weight in the boat may have alleviate flooding, but I have always been heard that you abandon ship at the point where you have to step up to the water/stay with the boat until it sinks... (unless of course there is a fire)

3. maybe a captain will think twice about taking SNORKELERS out in rough seas...

Following up my previous comment, abandoning ship to swim for shore in rough seas (I am not sure how far this was) could have resulted in weaker swimmers being swept out. My understanding was that there was still a floating bow section/mooring line that people could have held onto until rescue from nearby boats.

KrisB:
jlivengo: actually it was Friday.

There were a few things that hopefully wouldn't happen again:
1. the passengers were given very little time to abandon ship -- it should have taken several minutes to go down, but neither the rest of the crew, nor the passengers had any idea that was happening until the last minute or so.

2. if he had given the order to abandon ship earlier, there is a chance it wouldn't have even gone down -- at that point, the inspection plate should have been above sea level.

3. maybe a captain will think twice about taking SNORKELERS out in rough seas...
It's a small boat, I'm sure everyone new what was happening and were just in shock. I was on the sister ship and the captain of that vessel showed me what happened. It's the same boat B&B Scuba uses. I really can't imagine the captain yelling "abandon ship" on such a tiny boat. Besides, he was a little occupied with the heap of water flooding his boat. The crew should've been looking out for the passengers, but it doesn't take very experienced crew to lead a group of snorkelers. At least the captain didn't have to go down with the ship!

jlivengo:
It's the same boat B&B Scuba uses. !

Except of course the experienced captain of the B&B boat manages to keep that boat on the surface. You see Bill knows they aren't submarines :)

aloha all,

been offline for about a week now.
connected again.

boats back up. i'm sure you heard already.

friday went well. as well as can be.
anyways, mission accomplished.

as far as footage, it was captured but I was asked to keep
it on the down low for a bit.

will keep posted.

aloha & mahalo for your concerns.

maui diver

MAUI DIVER:
as far as footage, it was captured but I was asked to keep
it on the down low for a bit.

?? Down Low? Can't imagine what they're trying to hide?

sorry al.
they aren't trying to hide anything.
just figured some respect would be in order.
I just wouldn't want to add to the fire right now.
but soon enough, the footage will be public.

aloha

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom