Maui & Oahu Insider's Guide - The Oahu Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..the mahi did not move during hurricane ewa.. the barge that sits off the port bow did move about 100 yards farther away (south) you used to be able to see it on a clear day..
wow! is that barge still there? how big?
i'm gonna look for it next time.

..there is one cave/lava tube near the mahi called wishing well but no one other than me goes there..

lol.. i followed a flock of eagles to the Wishing-Well once.
the mooring ball is still there.. tho' encrusted with coral-heads..
he11a kick back to the Mahi from Wishing Well too..
(after doing a lucky WAG DR back to the wreck of course)

over to the Sea Tiger.. the bow is at 123fsw..
tho' 'had to dig my wrist watch in the sand a bit :eyebrow:

.. wreck diver student pointed out all the buttons and gauges are labeled in Japanese! ..

here's the main dial on the console in the Sea Tiger pilot-house..
throttle1.jpg

look like "english" numerals to me.
oh!.. you mean the squigley kanji characters at the top of the dial :wink:

and, here's the funny lookin' letters on the electrical panel within the YO..
yo_electric2.jpg

what language is that? :D

the ship was later purchased by nautilus submarine and after 2 1/2 years of fighting with surfers/canoe paddlers was finally given a permit to sink the ship as a site for the sub to view on tours, company soon after went out of business
Nautilus did? Is someone else running the business now?

Just watched them from the Kaimana Beach hotel Sunday (b-day getaway) diving two subs right offshore, on whatever is out there in front of the Natatorium.

Atlantis (vice Nautilus) is the current tour-sub company.

the site off the Natatorium is the YO-257 + San Pedro shipwrecks..
along with (what's left of) a couple airplane wrecks and artificial-reef-pyramids.

wow! is that barge still there? how big?
i'm gonna look for it next time.

it is,, we just dove it the other day, it's about 45degrees south off the mahi's bow, you used to be able to see it but not since it's moved, pretty easy to find with a sonar, just start from the mahi, lots of lobsters there now (hint hint)

Atlantis (vice Nautilus) is the current tour-sub company.

the site off the Natatorium is the YO-257 + San Pedro shipwrecks..
along with (what's left of) a couple airplane wrecks and artificial-reef-pyramids.
Ah, thanks. Could not see names that far away. Figgered there was something good down there.

The Kanji is Japanese not Chinese characters. left to right says: forward-reverse- stop- backwards- forward. Japanese uses English numbers on modern equipment and old Japanese counting system on older traditional stuff. The circuit panels are in English, maybe manufactured in Taiwan.

I remember seeing it in the pilot house in May 2009.

it's about 45degrees south off the mahi's bow

Not that it matters much to me, as I will not be going there anytime soon, but I would like to learn this navigation language. If we were whale watching from the Mahi, would the whales over the barge be at 1:30?

Looking at the too small image of the Mahi dive site card on Joe Diver America, if the smallest box is traditional map orientation 1:30 is possibly south (180deg)?

Then again, if the dive card were oriented properly wouldn't a snorkeler seeing the bow to the left see only sky behind the dive boat??

dived the Mahi-Barge this morning.
starting at the bow of the Mahi..
it's on a magnetic heading of 180°.. due South.. 100yds.

the Mahi wreck itself is currently set on a 240° heading.
therefore, it's exactly 60° left of the bow.

using the actual bow of the Mahi as your 12:00 o'clock reference..
the barge is at 10:00 o'clock-low.

props to DiveWestOahu for the vectors.

edit: link to photos from the dive..
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/309538-4-x-wreck-dives-mahi-barge.html#post4806350

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom