Maui Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked Wailea Beach out by the south point. A little deeper there's sort of an overhang in one area. Very occasionally someone sees a Manta in that area. And there's a certain humu trigger only seen there. I saw some big cornetfish out there once.

Parking is a problem after about 9AM as it's a small paved lot bordered by resorts. We walked over for tanks at the dive shack at the Grand Wailea next door but that was years ago.

The Manta cleaning station at Ukumehame from shore would be a swim...I read somewhere it's about 500 yards. Maybe with a scooter...http://www.meetup.com/Maui-Mantas/?scroll=true

South end: Ulua Bay is a great dive, as is Five Caves which is near by. Northwest: Olawalu, Black Rock ( your night dive). Mala Pier and Old Airport are all good. Stop in any Maui Dive Shop location and get their shore diving guide/magazine. Its full of ads, but charts about 25 to 30 shore dives, and shows you where they are and rates them as beginner to expert.
Debbie and I usually do two days of boat diving and the rest of our week shore diving. Maui Dive shop has good rental rates for lead, air and dive flags. BE SURE TO USE A DIVE FLAG ON ALL SHORE DIVES. (And don't touch the turtles).
DivemasterDennis

I read about Little Beach and it sounds great but only snorkeling was mentioned. Is it possible to carry tanks or is it too far from the parking area?

I would go with Ulua and Five Graves. I have rented up to six tanks at one time.

I read about Little Beach and it sounds great but only snorkeling was mentioned. Is it possible to carry tanks or is it too far from the parking area?

It is possible from black sand beach with a scooter. We go to the beginning of little beach then back. There is a swim through and tons of fish and critters found specifically along Red Hill. We often encounter Mantas feeding too.

Greg Walker
Www.mauiscooterdivers.com

So this has been here a while, but I had a question about the dive flags. Is it a law to use dive flags on all shore dives?
Also, are the shops listed here still the hot tickets for tank rentals? And lastly, I don't see any listings for weight rentals (though I haven't looked too hard yet) I'm assuming they are available?

thanks
Scott T

Yes, you must have a dive flag, and DLNR has been known to check regularly.

You can get weights anywhere you rent tanks, and the shops mentioned should still be good.

I rent tanks, weights and a flag when I'm in Maui, B&B let's me rent 10-14 tanks at a time.

Thanks for the quick replies folks. Luckily I have a brand new packable dive flag/float. Thanks for the heads up on B&B. I didn't think about multiple tanks but if the wife and I go out to explore for the day it would certainly be nice to have enough for two dives each.

Back
Top Bottom