"Mauser" is German for "Crap my shoulder hurts"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your avatar and AK go well together . . . !!!

I don't like AK's . . . and for good reason!

The old '94's a keeper. Geeeezzzz, how many deer have I taken with one of those!?

the K-alashnikov Hater

The Kraken:
Ruger M-77V chambered in .308 Win. Federal Premium Hollow Point Boat-tail match ammo, Pentax "Light-Seeker" glass, Timney trigger.

3 rounds inside a quarter at a measured 300 yards (off the bench, of course)

I know many a man that would use no different rifle.

Well game on then guys. But lets make it interesting and shoot; sitting, prone and off-hand. Nothing against bench but i'm more a DCM match guy. Its been awhile but i love that type of shooting. I'll even bring my Garand along so Uncle Ho can learn how it feels to rip eight of those off fast ....... ping! :wink:

I'll even bring my Garand along so Uncle Ho can learn how it feels to rip eight of those off fast ....... ping!

Does he get the "thumb" for a graduation present???? :D

the K

hey, i already almost lost half my thumb to a Garand

love the M-1. wish i could afford a decent one

(Uncle Ho is not THAT kind of Ho, btw)

let's see if the censor does its work:

Ho Chi Min is a son of a *****
he's got blue**** crabs
and the seven year itch

My favorite was a Ruger M77, 25-06, with a heavier magnum barrel. Sweet gun to shoot. Definately the rifle for someone sensitive to recoil. Somehow, my brother ended up with it. Currently carry a Weatherby Vangaurd .270 win that I bought new 2 years ago for $150. (Wal-mart was having a close out.) My current sweetheart however, is my Ruger Redhawk in .41. I carry it for bear mace.

The most fun I've had playing in the field is a toss up between hunting rabbits on full auto with an M-16 or having a Springfield M1A at the range with a thousand rounds of NATO match (boattail) ammo that I didn't have to pay for. Both were memorable days.

H2Andy:
ok... well... over the weekend, ended up at a gun show here in town.

lo and behold, i spy this beautiful, orginal German Mauser rifle (K98k).

i look at the rifling, and it's beautiful .... almost mint ...

made in 1937, at the Berlin plant ... was a Russian capture, but it
looks like the stock and the barrel/receiver stayed together

(the buttplate, floorplate, sling ring, H-ring, and bolt were all
from different rifles. the bolt was rebuilt from at least two,
possibly three rifles).

Flinchie23.jpg

well, being a sucker, of course i bought it after i somehow
managed to talk the seller down $100 bucks to a reasonable
$300

went home, cleaned it. next morning, to the range.

can you say "ouch?"

this 8mm (7.92x57mm) rifle weighs less than nine pounds.

and it frigging kicks ... ow... how did those guys do it, firing that
thing all day?

anyway, after 30 rounds, the thing was amazing... i was shooting
three-inch patterns from 100 yards, with surplus ammo.
believe me, i SUCK at shooting. that's just how sweet this rifle is.

eyebrow

Keep an eye out when the bolt is pulled back, you can actually get the back half to rotate and it will not close until it is straightened out. Believe me, it sucks.

However, nice weapon. Hold'er tight to the shoulder! Keep the metal buttplate. In case you have to finish off one of those squirrels.

H2Andy:
you guys are way above my league

i shoot military surplus, usually no better than 3-inch patterns at 100 yards.

this is my "arsenal" at the moment:

Yugo SKS-45
WASR-10 AK-47
Mosin-Nagant 98/30
Mauser K98k

and, my first rifle

Winchester 94 (.30-30)

What, no M1 Garand? No M14?

TCDiver1:
Well game on then guys. But lets make it interesting and shoot; sitting, prone and off-hand. Nothing against bench but i'm more a DCM match guy. Its been awhile but i love that type of shooting. I'll even bring my Garand along so Uncle Ho can learn how it feels to rip eight of those off fast ....... ping! :wink:
Sounds good, shooting off a bench tells a little about the shooter but mostly highlights the abilities of the gun. Position shooting is a much higher art form. I picked up National Match shooting in college and shot for about 10 years afterwards. I preferred the M1A (M-14) to the M-1 as the recoil was less consistent with the basically unmetered recoil system on the M-1. A small change in powder burn rate produced a noticeable change in recoil in the M-1 during rapid fire and timed fired.

I started with a Springfield M-1, acquired through DCM and then accurized, moved to a very nice Springfield match grade M-1A and finished up with a Olympic Arms AR-15 with match grade heavy barrel. The move to the AR-15 was due to cheaper shooting costs and the ability to use my own extremely accurate reloads as opposed to the M-1A with issue match grade ammo that varied a bit in quality and was not perfectly matched to the rifle (groups were around 1.5" with FMJ match bullets.) On 200-300 yard courses you could clean house with the light recoiling AR-15 while the wind beat you up badly on the 600 yard range and blew you around a bit too much off hand.

I also shot practical rifle competition and used the M-14 in the battle rifle division and a M-1 Carbine in the light rifle category rather than the AR-15. The carbine was light, handy to shoot and very accurate out to the 100-150 yards required. Plus you could fill it with sand and still have it shoot every time - unlike the AR-15.

However the AR-15 was a 1/4 MOA tack driver with cheap and simple to mass produce 55 grain BTFMJ or FBSP bullets on top of 25 grains of BLC-2. It was the best "under 350 yards" varmit rifle I ever owned, but the M-1 Carbine would be my choice for best rabbit gun ever invented.

DA Aquamaster:
.... the M-1 Carbine would be my choice for best rabbit gun ever invented.
My father bought one from surplus through the NRA back when I was much younger. I have to admit it was a lot of fun although my brothers and I are still in trouble for shooting up his ammo. (Took care of a rabid skunk with it once.) Unfortunately the rifle was taken by the Teton Dam flood back in 1976.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom