Max Depth for CESA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the maximum depth that one can do a CESA ?

This question has been asked many times before and it invariably leads to a few posters comparing the sizes of their... uhm... you get the picture.

Personally, I've never had to do one deeper than 9 metres so I really wouldn't know. I'm pretty confident that if I had to I could get to the surface from any depth as long as it didn't take more than about a minute or so to get there.

R..

My GF likes to practice them from 60 feet. Me- I value my ears too much. Always sling a stage or dive doubles. If I need to do a CESA the stuff has really hit the fan.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Feel free to yell at me for this guys because I'm trying to hammer things out for myself, but I thought ascent rates by and large weren't an issue for CESAs? The idea being that it's better to be bent than dead?

A bit of smart simple/ quick calculation behind a CESA is important too for ascent rates, the chances of this happening at the beginning (equipment failure) or the end/ far off close to your NDL (OOA) are probably higher. If you've just started your diving, the only factor on "racing to the surface" provided you've only been in the water a couple of minutes would be lung over expansion to which, exhale as you're using your solid state rocket boosters to blow to the surface. If it's from an OOA at the CESA depth towards the end of your dive, the chances are you've not off-gassed enough to safely hit 60fpm ascent rate at a depth of 20ft. I'd assume this would be something that happens for running out of air on a safety stop; is it ever worth it to run out of air when you're not directly threatened by deco obligations- probably not.

Frankly speaking teaching CESA's to me sound like a comfort thing for newer divers. Our natural reaction if we run out of air completely and no one is there to assist is to surface (or to try and bend around enough to kiss your arse goodbye), CESA's train you to surface at speed. It would make more sense to train divers to respond more to receiving air shares and swimming to your buddy. Horizontal leads to less dangers related to speed than vertical anyways. More emphasis should be put on the need not to perform CESA's and similar events in team diving because your team should be useful in non-emergencies, let alone during. I think it's curious for organizations who train you to stay in the water, no matter what to deem a phrase "Controlled Emergency Ascents" from 1/3 of what you're probably diving anyways.

I think I read or heard that way back when, the navy use to do a cesa exercise with submarine recruits. I can't recall the depth they did it at but remember saying "screw that!"

So, not recommending a deep cesa unless you are :holysheep:

I think I read or heard that way back when, the navy use to do a cesa exercise with submarine recruits. I can't recall the depth they did it at but remember saying "screw that!"

If you're talking about the same thing I've seen on TV then I believe they did them from 60 metres but they were buoyant ascents using a sort of air filled life preserver for lift.

R..

You've got expanding air from your BC/Wing on the CESA: why not use it as a last resort?

That was essentially the idea of the US Navy's old "Steinke Hood" for a Submarine Emergency Escape. . .

Submarine Escape Trunk and Survival Suits

If you're talking about the same thing I've seen on TV then I believe they did them from 60 metres but they were buoyant ascents using a sort of air filled life preserver for lift.

R..

I don't remember exactly but that could be it.

You can treat fungal/bacterial/viral lung infections;
You can with greater difficulty & urgency treat an unconscious near drowning/full-arrest condition with potentially more serious post morbid complications afterward. . .

--BUT YOU CANNOT TREAT DEATH BY DROWNING.

Yeah, I've heard it's been done from 100'. Also agree that I wouldn't want to have to do it for real from very deep. I practise it regularly from 20' and 30' as I dive solo a lot to these depths. I like to start out with less than a full breath as this most likely would be the case. Practicing from deeper makes little sense for me. For one, I would almost always have a buddy down there and also there may be a risk of ascending too fast. Of course, in practicing, you can always take a breath if you won't make it exhaling.

Back
Top Bottom