Max depth for new divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zinnia7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok. I have a question.

In my PADI book it says that the maximum depth for people with an Open Water cert is 60'. Advanced Open Water is up to 100' and should not exceed 130'. Right?

So WHY, when I get on dive boats with my Open Water C-card, do we routinely do dives to 80-90 feet? And when I mention to people who talk about going deep, that I am not comfortable with that (I only have about 14 dives under my weight belt) I get a reply like "Oh you're not one of THOSE". Like I am too scared or wimpy to go deeper.

I have been to 80-90 feet obviously and it really doesn't bother me. But at the same time I am more comfortable at shallower depths and prefer them because there is lots to see and it is usually brighter.

I just don't understand why these guidelines were established if nobody follows them. Or am I being overly cautious?

PADI's depths are recommendations, nothing more. they really are arbitrary, and
thus meaningless. are you safer at 60 feet than you are at 65? you can do
no-deco dives past 130 feet, if you want to. should you? if you are not
comfortable diving past 40 feet, should you just because PADI says you
can go to 60?

the bottom line is if YOU don't feel comfortable diving that deep, then DON'T DO IT!!! seriously, if the people you talk with are giving you this attitude, blow them off. they're losers.

any diver can call any dive at any point for any reason or no reason at all.
that includes choosing not to make the dive in the first place. if anybody gives
you grief about this, they're losers.

Andy is right. Most EXPERIENCED divers will never give you a hard time about going deep. On the contrary, the guys I know will respect you for telling the truth. It is important to communicate this with the dive shop before you go out and there should not be a problem.

Another point is that if you're on a boat with dive leaders they do have the option, legally, of taking you deeper than you've been trained to dive.

If you aren't comfortable at depth then talk to the charter service before you ever book a trip with anyone. See what they'll do.

Its all about comfortable, like andy said.

I went to 45 feet at first, got comfortable, went to 60, got comfortable went to 70, I didn't even get close to the NDL but just to feel COMFORTABLE I added one more minute to my safety stop at 35 feet that dive (thats what they taught me on Nitrox class).

I enjoy shallow dives more since I'm a hoover but once I'll start diving with my 120's HP steels I'll probably do whatever I feel comfortable underwater - not limited to depth but to the people I dive with, you can feel unsafe with a bad buddy even at 20 feet.

I also take my pony whenever I can just to feel comfortable, it give me a sense of confidence (false or not its a different discussion), by feeling more comfortable underwater my SAC is better.

Another point is that if you're on a boat with dive leaders they do have the option, legally, of taking you deeper than you've been trained to dive.

If you aren't comfortable at depth then talk to the charter service before you ever book a trip with anyone. See what they'll do.

I guess I just found it odd. That's all. I certainly know I can refuse any dive I am not comfortable with.

One of the courses for AOW is the "deep dive" to 100ft. I guess I just thought there was more to it. I mean I have almost been that deep. What's 10-15 more feet?

As H2Andy said, the depths are "recommended". Just like safety stops are "recommended". I like those recommendations and I would guess that many accidents occur from new divers (and probably experienced ones too) diving beyond their training level.

Personally, I am not in any hurry to see beyond 100 ft. There is plenty to see at 50-60 ft and I am happy there.

Another point my instructor made in my OW class is that comfortable is the most important thing - in case something happens - its going to be easier for a diver to panic if they are outside their comfort zone.

zinnia7:
Just like safety stops are "recommended".

this is a different issue.

i encourage you to think of a safety stop as mandatory on every dive you make.

also, i encourage you to think of a slow ascent from 30 feet to the surface as
a long, rolling "safety stop."

take as much time as possible, in every dive, to get from 30 feet to the surface.
spend gas you're not going to otherwise use.

get in the habit of a long, slow, "safety stop" ascent. the easiest way is to
ascend in five foot increments and spend two to three minutes at each stop.

eyebrow

One important benefit of gradually doing deeper dives rather than having your first dive below 45 feet be one to 130 is that you will see how the amount of gas you need when you begin your ascent changes. If you have only ever done shallow dives you may very well have developed a habit of getting to 800 PSI and then heading for the safety stop. If you try that from 130 feet you may come up short. If you gradually try deeper dives as your comfort level grows, you will see how you need to give yourself more gas to get to the surface the deeper you go.

There are other lessons as well but Boyle's law and how to plan for it is one really important reason.

Mark Vlahos

Back
Top Bottom