Max number of tanks in car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft:
I have carried up to 18 cylinders in a pick-up truck and felt uneasy about it. I felt sure I was bending some DOT regulations. I also took the PSI Visual Inspector course and brought up this same issue as to regulations on transporting cylinders. The instructor advised that if I had 20 cylinders I would have to have placards on my vehicle. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement, however. I do know I would not like to be in or anywhere near a vehicle with loose tanks in a rollover, wreck, or other situations that can occur on the highway. He did tell me to place the valves toward the front of the vehicle so if the valves were snapped off in a rear end collision the cylinder would not blast off towards the passengers.....

i heard it other way around...same as sb_diver

the valves will fly a lot further and harder than the tanks...

Well, I guess that depends on whether you run into someone or someone rear ends you. This has made me stop and reconsider. I will carry them upright with the valves down so on impact they will take off through my sunroof like a Polaris missle.

Again probably best to have the valves facing up, you are more likely to damage the valves having the tanks resting on them than by an accident knock whilst upright. I also put the valves facing the back, i wonder about a rear ending, but i would prefer that than braking sharply and busting off the valves.

DOT regulation kicks in at 1000lbs and being a commercial venture like an instructor transporting tanks. See: http://www.psicylinders.com/library/Hazmat.htm

As far as what can the car hold check the owners manual, or the door placcard and subtract your weight. I would load the car evenly by distributing the tanks and gear throughout the car.

Dave

When i'm transporting tanks, I usually use a crate that I designed for the tanks. I made it by screwing together some 2by 4 and sizing it so that the base of the tank sits directly against the end of the crate, there is an angled peice of wood that supports the tank where it rounds towards the valve, then there is a space at the top end of the crate that serves as a bumper so no part of the tank comes in contact with any part of my vehicle. I've also used ratchet straps to secure the tanks in this crate.

If you need to take multiple tanks it would be easy to design stackable crates. This would protect the tank and greatly minimize the probability of knocking off a valve.

As for valves facing forward or back. I usually face them towards the side of the vehicle. Reason being, I don't want either part hitting me in the back of the head should a valve get blown off. This would also guard against botha head on and a rear end collision. unfortunately it would not be a good thing if someone were to t-bone me but that's what the crates are for.

As far as tanks in the cabin, this is a very bad idea unless they are well secured. In the even of an accident those tanks are likely to fly forward and nail you in the back or the back of the head and I'm not certain but I don't think the seat backs are designed to protect you from tanks flying through the cabin in an accident. i also think this logic applies to cars with folding rear seats. If you hit somehting those seats will not be able to hold the tanks and they will likely come flying at your back. Another reason I put then faceing out. I don't want a valve becoming part of my body.

Bottom line for me anyways. I think regardless of where you choose to transport your tanks in a vehicle, they should be strapped down to prevent them shifting while driving or especially in an accident. Sandwiching them between weight belts is not going to stop them from flying through the vehicle in an accident.

The best option as mentioned before is a trailer or truck bed with sun protection to avoid overheating the tanks or another system provided that it ensures the tanks will be secure.

Just my opinion and what I've done so far.

Why not rent a larger car or truck for the weekend. I had a Honda accord and I don't think it will all fit. If it does, you will be over weighted and the car may not handle safely.

hnladue:
I've had 11 tanks in my highlander with no issues. Also gear and luggage for a week trip. Went across US/Canada border twice, also no issues.

No issues except that young, friendly customs agent on the American side who seemed be more interested about talking diving than than letting the vehicle occupants through that is.

I have had the following in my Mustang and crossed to Canada and back:

1 set of double 100's
2 HP 120's
6 Al eighties
1 Al 40 (stage bottle)

The customs officer at Port Huron asked extenstive questions, but that was about it. Oh, and ask the people that I dove Deerfield Beach with what I took down there driving from Michigan (Jenny :) )!

Remember this saying, Where there is a will, there is a way, LOL!

Ishie:
I have a hyundai accent now, and ten tanks would really kill it. It bottomed out with four. What you may want to do is distribute the weight a little more evenly by sticking a few tanks in the cabin, if you can. In the Accent, I shove a tank in the well behind each front seat (do you have other passengers) so it gets some of the weight out of the back.

Good old Accents!! I too have an Accent and my buddy and I loaded 4 tanks, all our dive gear and our suit cases into it and drove from Ontario to Florida Keys. She rode a bit low but we made it.

I have carried 12 Al 80s in my little 2 door Blazer and gear for five. No problems. It was pretty much up hill all the time.
I have a CDL with Hazmat endorsement and I don't remember any of my training involving personal use. But there may be some requirements. I have been unable to find any.

Joe

abitton:
OK, here's the skinny:

AOW+Nitrox certification dives this weekend...

There are two of us, and a 2003 Honda Accord (not a small car, but not an Expedition either)

I need to lug 10 TANKS, plus two whole sets of gear...

Is it safe to put all these tanks in the trunk, if they are strapped together (using those ratchet straps)???

What are your thoughts?
Essy ... rent a pick up truck

A.
:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom