May/June Raja vs. Komodo vs. anywhere else in Asia/Pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
P
Reaction score
Me and my wife will have one month of vacations (probably the last long vacation for some years) between 24th May and 18th June.
We planned to split it between 15days climbing some mountains and 15 days of diving and enjoying nice beaches.

Initially we planned to go to Pakistan + Raja Ampat. However, I have just realized that June might no be a good idea to go to Raja due to the rainy season and possible rough seas.

Would you recommend going to any other places in Asia (ex. Komodo which is a good spot in june) or stick to the initial plan and go to Raja?
Another possibility, was to go to the pacific but as far as I have searched the logistics are not that easy (many flights and $$) and the spots are not much better than Asia, correct?

Thanks for your help!

For better or worse we had planned Komodo on a lob in June 2020 derailed by COVID. I think it was supposed to be good

I have been to Raja in June a few times and we have had great weather with great conditions. For the most part it is pretty protected area with no major crossings. Komodo is on season during that time and can be very crowded. I think it is still recovering from the pandemic with not so many people traveling as before but it will definitely keep picking up. I think if you are thinking of doing it this year than maybe opt for Komodo before it gets way too crowded again. Komodo and Raja are tops in Indo so if it is your first time then stick to one of those. Raja is harder to get to and Komodo is super easy. What do you like or wish to see? Experience level? That info can also help in giving advice.

When you say Pacific are you talking French Polynesia area? Palau? Big area... Indo beats them all in my opinion but it also depends on what you want to see.

We have done 30-40 dives including some places like Ecuador, South Africa, Thailand. We want to go to a great diving spot but we dont have any kind of preference (ex. ''we want to go for the best to see pelagics in the world'').

When I say Pacific I mean Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomon, Fiji or Tahiti. We would prefer if the spots were close to the main islands, since it would save us from having to buy additional tickets (ex. I really want to go sometime to Fakarava, but it takes too many flights to get there).

Skip French Polynesia until you can go to Fakarava or Rangiroa. It is a very expensive and diving is pretty meh close to Tahiti.

Solomon Islands are great especially if you are into WWII history and wrecks, but not as good as Indo. I have only done the Bilikiki a couple times so can't tell you much about land ops.

Fiji is easy (at least for me on the west coast of US) and beautiful. There are some good options for resorts that don't require a domestic flight.

I still think Indonesia is tops over all of these especially for the value. FYI There is some amazing diving out of Bali if you don't want to do domestic flights in Indo as well. Bali is a beautiful island and the culture is soo wonderful and not to be missed. Back to your original request I would vote for Komodo!

June might be a bit late in the year for Raja Ampat, many of the liveaboards have migrated to Komodo at that time.
Komodo is a great dive destination which was too crowded (I've seen more than 20 boats mooring on the same manta ray spot at lunch time) before pandemic, early June is not yet full season as it's a month inbetween asian holidays in May and european summer holidays in July/august.
That said I would find 2 weeks a bit longish for Komodo NP which can be dived in 1 week (many people often take short 4-7 days liveaboards because it's a long daytrip from LBJ to the dive spots 1h-2h depending on the kind of boat, you may not dive the sites located further away either. )
You can couple Komodo with Bali, which can be fine in June as well with less tourists or if you want other great diving, Alor (I consider R4, Komodo and Alor to be the "Big 3" of Indonesia).

When I say Pacific I mean Vanuatu, Samoa, Solomon, Fiji or Tahiti.
As much as I love Vanuatu for the landside and culture (grew up there : that's PNG without the transport or safety issues + volcanoes), diving around PortVila is below par, only Santo/Pres.Coolidge wreck is a once in your life dive... other than that... Vila bay, Mele, Moso or Lelepa aren't worthwhile.
Fiji is very nice, colorful especially north of Viti Levu (Bligh waters) but then again Indo is better in terms of variety.
Honestly nobody would go diving Samoa.
Tahiti is about crushed coral and sometimes a tiger shark.
Only PNG would equal or or surpass the best places in Indo in my diver's opinion.

(I consider R4, Komodo and Alor to be the "Big 3" of Indonesia).

I love Vanuatu
1. I guess then the "Little 3" is Ambon, Lembeh, and Tulamben... My favorite spots.

2. I love Vanuatu kava. Such an amazing place. :cool:

2. I love Vanuatu kava. Such an amazing place. :cool:
Don't try the one grewn (and chewed) in Tanna : you'd never stand up, ain't no "Fijian for sissies" light kava.

Oh yeah... and there's also "Tuluk blo Mele", the best streetfood in the world you buy at Vila's market.

Don't try the one grewn (and chewed) in Tanna : you'd never stand up, ain't no "Fijian for sissies" light kava.

Oh yeah... and there's also "Tuluk blo Mele", the best streetfood in the world you buy at Vila's market.
I only have about 20 hours in Port Vila between Fiji and the Solomons. Let's just say that night was a very powerful experience and leave it at that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom