Mayflower Shipwreck near Combermere, Ontario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

treasurechaser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have the coordinates, we visited the museum, we lost an anchor, we did not find the wreck. It does exist and has been cataloged by SOS and filmed, we did find a small piece of wood that may have been off the mayflower, as the curator of the local Mayflower museum had similar pieces among his collection.

The Mayflower was at the time it sunk in 1912, Canada's worst inland maritime disaster.

We are going back in less than two weeks. Heres photos from our first expedition. Its about two hours west of Ottawa. I may have my history wrong, one photo says 9 deaths, mine says 8. I think the difference is, they were already transporting a casket with a dead man in it. So technically, I guess, 9, yes is the correct answer.

mayflower original photo combermere ontario.jpg

combermer trip 1 july 2016.jpg

vlcsnap-00001.jpg

vlcsnap-00012.jpg

vlcsnap-00013.jpg

vlcsnap-00014.jpg

Any tips or suggestions to find this wreck? I know we were close. Its a pretty massive area, but we had the GPS coordinates. There was white caps, the waves were chunky and heavy. We sank as soon as we jumped but I know we drifted quite a bit before we got to the bottom. No vis at all UNTIL you get 10 feet or closer to the bottom. Then it was decent once down there. No fish. No rocks. Hard bottom, not very silty.

We are looking for a guide if anyone knows. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom