MB-SUB VB 50 can light thoughts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience with it differs a bit from Litehedded's. I found it to be comparable to a 21w, maybe a little less punch, but still pretty darn good. Best LED I've seen anyways.

BUT

I can't get past the handle and all the knobs, and I don't like the can it comes with (no switch). The glowing part is great, the rest is 'meh' for me at best.

have to disagree with this.

one of my rb80 teammates had the focus for the class and during the cave dives his light was consistently hard to see without covering mine. i like these lights a lot but i wouldn't go this far

Hmm, that's weird. I saw it next to 21W HID a few times and every time I had a primary light envy.

---------- Post added January 30th, 2015 at 01:48 PM ----------

I can't get past the handle and all the knobs, and I don't like the can it comes with (no switch).

Why is a switch on a can a big deal? It always felt awkward to me to turn it on, it is much more convenient to have switch on a head as long as it does not snag.

The switch is unprotected. That's the entire reason it's in the can. Plus, if you put an eo on it, the only option is "on" which limits it's ability to be used with other light heads or a heated vest.

WS:

One of my dive buddy had this light. I have seen it in action and it does pack quite a punch. He was pleased with the light's performance but became frustrated with several failures and long turn around time for repairs. I believe he sent the light back to the Europe for repairs.

O.

May I ask what kind of failure he encountered? Was it covered under warranty? Thanks.

WS:

I don't know exactly what part of the light failed, but needless to say, it didn't operate when he needed it. He dives a lot, usually several times a month. I don't know if it had failed because of operator error of if it occurred as a result of a defect. I would assume the latter, as he does take very good care of his equipment. He currently uses a Light Monkey 21W HD. He did mention that it took more than three months for the light to return from the manufacturer.

O.

I have a teammate using VB-50 in fundie and R3. Maybe he is the same person Ouvea is refering to above. So from GUE requirement point of view, it is OK'ed by our three local instructors. I haven't seen him for a while, so I didn't know about his light has issue.

I have used his light a couple of times. My likes:
- canister design. There is no switch or latch on the top part of canister, so I can mount the hose clamp very high => canister low on body. It seems to catch the long hose much better.
- operaton. The switch is the bottom part of the canister. With thick suit, it is a lot easier to get to. Also backup light won't accidentally turn on or off the light.
- in tightest focus, the beam is quite bright and has good punch

My dislike:
- the focus mechanism is continuous. It doesn't stop at the tightest or widest setting. The focus ring is kinds of loose as well. I used the tightest setting most of the time, and I noticed focus setting can drift.
- the light pattern at tightest focus. It shows up as a square light spot with almost zero side spill. Within the square hot spot, the light is very even without distinctive hot center. I prefer beam with hot center and some side spill out side of main beam

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom