meclizine for a barotrauma?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmerkel:
You might try adding a 60mg dose of Pseudofed (only). That has some stimulant and decongestant action. Might be of benefit for the barotrauma if there is some inner ear plugging/fluid and ward of a bit of the drownsiness also. This essentially mimics the decongestant/antihistamine (meclizine is an antihisamine) of cold medications.

My wife gets satisfactory results from this when she has to take meclizine for seasickness. She is very sensitive to the drowsiness effects.

Fritz

Do you perhaps mean middle ear plugging/fluid? The inner ear already is a largely fluid-filled space and if there is much extraneous fluid about then one has a serious problem requiring more than a simple decongestant. Also, the inner ear does not drain off fluids in the same fashion as the middle ear.

Also, why do you recommend 60 mg rather than another dosage?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Do you perhaps mean middle ear plugging/fluid? The inner ear already is a fluid-filled space and if there is much extraneous fluid about then one has a serious problem requiring more than a simple decongestant. Also, the inner ear does not drain off fluids in the same fashion as the middle ear.

Also, why do you recommend 60 mg rather than another dosage?

Best regards.

DocVikingo

No, the inner ear is an air space. That's why we clear it. If it was a fluid filled space clearing would not be necessary. The vestibular apparatus where the balance mechanism is located is suspended in the inner.

I'm making an assumption that if there was enough trauma to create dizziness that may have caused fluid leakage also. But, this is not necessarily the case. I personally know 2 divers that got what was termed for lack of a better diagnosis "labrynthitis" after a dive that incurred no barotrauma at all, nor DCS (O2 adminsitration made no difference), although this was initially suspected based on the symptoms right after the dive. Extreme dizziness, and in both these cases vomiting, was a result. Treatment was an anti-nausea drug and rest. Both returned to diving without problems.

The physician apparently chose NOT to treat inner ear fluid (maybe there was none) and the victim did not specifically mention it. His concern was the drowsiness, a common side effect of these medications. Pseudofed is often used as a decongestant in mixed cold medications AND to counteract the sedative effects of the antihistamine. 60mg is a standard dose. I wanted to make sure he was taking just Psuedofed and not mixed with other medications (common mistake). In all probability it won't hurt, and it may help. If there is some fluid it may help with that also.

Fritz Merkel

I'm trying the pseudofed--thanks. I'm going in for some more extensive ear tests in a week. All my dive plans have been cancelled for the time being.

fmerkel:
No, the inner ear is an air space. That's why we clear it. If it was a fluid filled space clearing would not be necessary. The vestibular apparatus where the balance mechanism is located is suspended in the inner.

I'm making an assumption that if there was enough trauma to create dizziness that may have caused fluid leakage also. But, this is not necessarily the case. I personally know 2 divers that got what was termed for lack of a better diagnosis "labrynthitis" after a dive that incurred no barotrauma at all, nor DCS (O2 adminsitration made no difference), although this was initially suspected based on the symptoms right after the dive. Extreme dizziness, and in both these cases vomiting, was a result. Treatment was an anti-nausea drug and rest. Both returned to diving without problems.

The physician apparently chose NOT to treat inner ear fluid (maybe there was none) and the victim did not specifically mention it. His concern was the drowsiness, a common side effect of these medications. Pseudofed is often used as a decongestant in mixed cold medications AND to counteract the sedative effects of the antihistamine. 60mg is a standard dose. I wanted to make sure he was taking just Psuedofed and not mixed with other medications (common mistake). In all probability it won't hurt, and it may help. If there is some fluid it may help with that also.

Fritz Merkel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom