Medical conditions preventing diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've always thought of my diver friends with asthma taking preventative meds before they dive as a prophylatic, but I also wonder is those drugs are safe when you are scuba diving? anyone here know?

I was also told by my diving doctor to take a puff before diving. Ironically, printed at the bottom of my DAN insurance letter is this:

"There is some concern that taking a bronchodilator medicine before diving could increase the possibility of decompression illness, so this should be avoided."

So i guess taking Symbicort in Australia is not allowed (where it is considered both a preventative and a reliever) but is fine to take before diving in the US (where it's considered only a preventative). :D

... and let's not forget Meniere's Disease.

Then the question becomes, is it acceptable to their buddy or anyone ELSE who is or might be involved in the dive. And that's a much harder question.

Unfortunately, it is a question that may be to difficult to discuss since instructors and dive ops may reject you if you bring anything up and do not have a doctor's clearance. Or, in some cases as we have seen in this thread, even a doctor's clearance may not be enough.

I've always thought of my diver friends with asthma taking preventative meds before they dive as a prophylatic, but I also wonder is those drugs are safe when you are scuba diving? anyone here know?

I guess you'd have to evaluate the risk to oneself and others if a puffer is not taken preventively compared to the risk of possible DCI according to DAN. I used to dive all the time without taking a puffer and it was perfectly fine all except twice -when I had asthma attacks u/w. I believe I have written about them somewhere on SB before. For me, I choose a puffer over not using a puffer preventively.

The first one was during my o/w course when I was in a car with dog hair on the way to the site and my hood was slightly big and pushing my mask down. I was having constant full floods and kept exhaling and clearing my mask repeatedly and ended up having my first asthma attack in 15 years while kneeling waiting to do my CESA. That was a very severe one where I was not allowed to abort the dive after several thumbs up, all calmly, and finally an OOA signal when I could no longer breathe in OR out. It was all I could do to try and exhale and I felt my lungs expand painfully as the DM and I rose slowly to the surface.

Two years later, since I had been scissor-happy and my first hood fit perfectly but looked funny, I was trying a new xs hood, again too big and pushing my mask off repeatedly while swimming against a slight current. Again, I kept exhaling to clear my mask and I could feel an asthma attack starting. I usually took my puffer but had forgotten it in the hotel room. This time, I only cleared every once in a long time while we made our way to the correct mooring line and was resigned to having water in my mask to try and avoid wheezing. The chain had already started though and I was still having a mild asthma attack by the end of the dive.

So after that, I always try to make sure I have and use my puffer before each day of diving. I also don't try out new equipment, especially a hood or mask, on deep dives or those that are difficult to abort right away. Once I found the only brand and size hood that would fit me shortly after that dive, I bought 3 more. I'm also aware of the triggers that cause me to wheeze and avoid getting into those situations. I have never had any asthma attacks or wheezing while diving (or not diving) since then, which was 8 years ago.

There is a notice on the Sunset House web site saying that they do not allow anyone who has or has ever had asthma to dive there.

That isn't what the website says. It says:

ALL STUDENTS. Medicals will be required for any YES’s answered on the medical form and we are unable to certify/teach anyone who has ever suffered from asthma.

I was there last November, I have asthma triggered by cats. I took a signed letter from the Doc clearing me to dive. I did. I did not take a class but I did dive with Sunset Divers.

Helpful Hints for our Divers

I think the history of seizures is serious concern, and should probably be a contraindication. The exception I could see is a febrile seizure. These typically happen to infants and toddlers, but are generally a non-issue after that age. Considering my son had a particularly bad one at age 2, I did have him medically cleared before his class, as directed by the questionaire...but that shouldn't really be necessary, IMHO.

If I remember correctly, a pneumothorax (spontaneous OR traumatic) was an absolute contraindication. I had a coworker who took the class shortly after I did who had a history of pneumothorax following a gunshot wound to the chest (crazy ex-wife). I asked him how he got medical clearance, and the answer was predictable....he lied. As a fellow medical professional, he should have known better....but he felt it was worth the risk. Of course, I don't think he has been in the water since his cert dives (15 years ago), so not a huge concern now.

To the OPs question:

Matt - Being a new diver AND a physician must be an interesting experience since you know more about the effects of depth and pressure on the body more than most newbs. There is a standard medical form you will have to fill out sooner or later (probably sooner). You may find the form and the supporting instructions to physicians on medical criterion for diving interesting reading:

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-ver2-0.pdf

Happy diving!

All medical conditions require a risk assessment, as every venture under the water does for all of us. We all have different degrees of risk acceptance, too. For example, I have seen a woman with stage IV breast cancer post about whether it's safe to dive on chemo . . . she had a terminal diagnosis, and her risk assessment is going to be totally different from those of us who are well.

Someone who had seizures at one point, but has been seizure-free for 10 years off meds, probably has a higher risk of having a seizure than someone who has never had one, but such a person can drive . . . and having a seizure when driving has to be quite close to the same lethal risk as having one when diving. On the other hand, no one blinks at a grossly overweight, older smoker who doesn't normally exercise at all, who probably has as high a risk of a lethal event when diving as that asymptomatic seizure patient.

A few conditions carry a predictable likelihood of problems severe enough that most of us would not advise someone to take the risk. A history of spontaneous pneumothorax is one, since the recurrence rate is high, and the lethality of a pneumo underwater is going to be very high. Significant asthma with air trapping is another. Seizures requiring daily medication are another. Brittle diabetes is another, although most Type II and many well-controlled Type I's are diving safely. Uncontrolled hypertension, poorly controlled arrhythmias, congestive heart failure, narcolepsy . . . the list is long, and the conditions where I personally would say diving isn't worth the risk are the ones where a bad outcome is a) predictable and b) not within the diver's control. But in certain circumstances, like the one I referred to above, a diver might make the personal decision that the risk was acceptable to them. Then the question becomes, is it acceptable to their buddy or anyone ELSE who is or might be involved in the dive. And that's a much harder question.

Wow, what a fabulous analysis of the issues involved.

That isn't what the website says. It says:

ALL STUDENTS. Medicals will be required for any YES’s answered on the medical form and we are unable to certify/teach anyone who has ever suffered from asthma.

Thank-you for the correction.

I inferred that, if they refuse to certify anyone who has ever had asthma, they don't think it's safe to dive with a history of asthma. But perhaps it's just a legal CYA.

To the OPs question:

Matt - Being a new diver AND a physician must be an interesting experience since you know more about the effects of depth and pressure on the body more than most newbs. There is a standard medical form you will have to fill out sooner or later (probably sooner). You may find the form and the supporting instructions to physicians on medical criterion for diving interesting reading:

http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-ver2-0.pdf

Happy diving!

Of course I had already read it (since I had to get it filled out for myself, being on medication), but on re-reading it per your suggestion, I see that it says you shouldn't dive if you have coronary artery disease. As I said in my original post, I don't think this is an absolute contraindication. For example, if the person has had a corrective procedure (bypass or stent) and has been without chest pain for a year or more. I think TsandM's guidelines (above) are spot on.

As for being a physician and "knowing more about the effects of depth and pressure...than most newbs", I would say that being a physician does not give one more knowledge about this topic than anybody else. The exception might be that I understand a bit about the anatomy of the middle ear. As a physician, I always wanted to learn about decompression illness, but didn't really understand it until I started taking the PADI courses and participating on ScubaBoard.

One thing that being a scuba diver has done to help me manage my patients' illnesses is that I can teach patients to equalize their middle ears. Having unequalized ears is a common problem due to seasonal allergies. Patients are really happy when I show them how to equalize.

The only time (living inland in central Maryland) that I ever saw a patient with a diving-related illness was a patient who returned from a dive trip with a painful ear. I looked in there and saw blood on the tympanic membrane, and arranged for the patient to be seen immediately by a local ENT.

Back
Top Bottom