Meg Tooth Cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one (and the only one) I have (got it from Pete - Walter you've seen it) doesn't look polished.
And it's beautiful
:D
Mania

depends on the condition found...I've found some that are beautiful as is...then others look like - well...I'd refrain from soaking them in anything ...a buffing wheel with jeweler's rouge is the best way to polish them.

Best way only if what you want is shiny with no thought to the damage you're doing to the fossil.

Best way only if what you want is shiny with no thought to the damage you're doing to the fossil.

haven't damaged one yet, certainly don't want to burn it...little slow buffing on a soft wheel is no worse than vinegar. Saw one after a guy dropped it in muriatic acid....

I was told to not use the white vinegar, but Apple Cider Vinegar, which I have and it works great. You may have to leave them soak over night, but it does do the trick. Also, Amourall works good for shining them up.
Ditto, depending on the quality of the tooth use full strength or 50/50%....Full strength left for too long will dull the enamel [gets the 'crud' off faster though]...Full strength for 4-6hrs will dissolve most 'crud' and loosen what's left so it can be easily picked off w/o harming the enamel...afterwards soak it in distilled [bottled] water for several days [changing the water each day] to get all the salt that has penetrated out......The tooth will then be 'stable' and you can shine it w/a little light buffing...Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a complete tooth w/good, shiny enamel and little or no 'crud'....Just soak it in bottled water, no apple cider vinegar........Those are the 'keepers' :) !!!!...Or sell to collectors so you can buy more equipment, so you can find more teeth ;P !!!!

Soaking in 50/50 vinegar or apple cider for a few hrs. works well, but I use a low speed post grinder and a soft wire brush using a very lite touch will take barnacles, dirt, and algae without any damage to the fossil. After the fossil is dry I then buff the fossil on a low speed post type buffer ( 1750 rpm ) first using rouge that I buy from a dental lab. If you get more shine than you like, simple wash with soap and water to cut some of the shine. Practice with some old stuff when buffing until you get the touch right because even a low speed buffer can take the fossil out of your hands and smash it. I have been buffing my fossils this way for around 20 years and most collector in my area do the same way. But to each their own. Good luck and Safe Diving.

What I use after a good rinse is a dremel with the buffy wheel that looks like a brown scotchbrite pad. It works pretty good without any damamge. I'll see if I can post some before and after photo's when I get home today.

I am not a fan of the highly polished tooth. You know the ones that they buffed right through the enamel? jsut a nasty looking tooth. Now I know they do it because there was a tip missing but still, I cannot do it.

---------- Post added February 19th, 2013 at 09:55 AM ----------

Oh, and I had a whale vert that was covered in barnacles and I used a 50/50 mix of apple cider vinegar and distilled water. I put it in a 5 gal. bucket and let it soak and I would change out the mix every couple of days and i used a PLASTIC pick to knock off the barnacles and it took me about two weeks to clean it off. After cleaning, I brough the vert in to air dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom