Megaladon Tooth Hunt - Last minute cancellations, we have some spots to fill!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
All:

Friend and I are planning a trip in a few weeks to the Carolinas for a chartered megaladon tooth hunt. Unfortunately we had a few back out last minute so we're trying to fill the remaining spots on the boat, here's all the details :). Dates are August First and Second.

Requirements for all divers:
 Advanced Certification
 Nitrox Certification
 Each diver must have a wreck reel and surface marking buoy and know how to use them. Keith says 200’ of line on the reel is sufficient.
 Goody Bag- not required, but you’ll want one!
 Be prepared for North Carolina conditions.
(Also, it would help if you've dived "Recently". We've had trips before where folks showed up and hadn't dove in 12 years and had a lot of kinks to work out)

Keith’s boat, the Jet Lag, is huge for a 6 pack, which means it can handle some seas.
You can check out his boat on Carolina Beach Scuba’s web site: Carolina Beach Scuba - Dive Shop and Charters Carolina Beach, NC

Dive Profiles:
Saturday- Outer Ledge
105-110fsw
Boat departs 6:30.
Ride to site approx. 2hr – 2.5hr.
We’ll do a full day on the Outer Ledge- 3 dives with lengthy surface intervals in between.

Sunday- Inner Ledge 85fsw
Boat departs 7:30.
Ride to site approx. 1:15.
We’ll do 2 dives on this trip.

Total for boat charter is $390 for both days ($240 for Outer Ledge 3 tank trip, $150 for Inner Ledge 2 tank trip). Tanks are NOT included. That’s normal for the Carolinas. I’ll be bringing my 120s. Keith works through Carolina Beach Scuba, and they have 100s and 120s to rent. He has 80s as well, but you’re going to want the HP tanks for this trip, especially the outer ledge at 110’.

You don’t want air to be your controlling factor on these dives. You want every minute of your NDC time to fossil hunt!

He has HPs that will accommodate DIN or yoke 1st stages. Cost for tank rental is $22 per tank, per day. That includes EANx fill. EANx fills for HP120 are $12. Smaller tanks are a bit less. This is going to be AWESOME!

Check out Jet Lag Charters facebook page- https://www.facebook.com/JetLagChartersLlc to see all the teeth found during last weekend’s charter . The Jet Lag sounds like an awesome boat, and Keith seems to know where to find the fossils! The boat is 43’ with a 16’ beam, but he limits his trips to 6 divers. He says there’s plenty of room to relax and even sleep for the long rides out and long day on the outer ledge. He knows he’s a bit more expensive than the cattle boats, but I’m all for paying a bit more for the comfort and service, not to mention the elbow room on the bottom while we’re digging! We got lucky finding a boat on a weekend this far into the season, and I don’t want to lose it, so I need to send a deposit to Keith ASAP. COMMITMENT TIME!- anyone wanting to go needs to get a $100 deposit to me to hold your spot. Email me at lyonce40@verizon.net and I’ll get a mailing address to you.

Hope to see you on the Fossil Ledge!
Lyon

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom