Melbourne in December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerzy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am planning a month long visit to Melbourne this December and was hoping to do few dives.
Can anyone recommend some nice dive locations for either boat or shore diving?
What kind of marine life can one find in this area?
Looking for a relaxing dive no deeper than 20 meters. Got certified recently and don't want to push it :D

Also, would a 3mm wetsuit be acceptable this time of year or should I start shopping for something thicker?

Thanks
Jerzy

diving... melbourne.... i wouldnt do it without a DRYSUIT :D!!

serioulsy, you might have more imput from my local forum www.diveoz.com.au on this one

most of the Melb divers down there are into photos or rust so you should find something nice

cheers

Haha, yeah, Melbourne can be a bit chilly. But you're coming in December which is our summer, so you should be right. Although you can get 4 seasons in a day around here. I'm actually from Geelong, about 45 minutes away on the other side of the bay. I haven't been diving in the bay yet but from my scuba mates I've heard that it's atually meant to be alright. The fishlife isn't anything to get over excited about, except for the Popes Eye marine sanctuary in the middle of the bay which has a fairly wide variety of species. I've been snorkelling around there [some parts are shallow, some are deep] and there was plenty of colours and fish. There are also several submarines in the bay which are meant to be good for a look around.
Hopefully I will have been able to do some dives and give you some more recommendations before you get here in December!

You had also better hope that they don't get ahead with the proposed dredging of the bay so that larger ships can come in and out. If they do then the visibility will be horrible! But that should be a little way off before they do anything like that.

I'd hire a 7 mm if I was you. 3 mm isn't going to cut it unless your future reproductive success is not an isssue.....

Theres some excellent wreaks including 3 submarines at the entrance of the harbor. Theres also a safe seal colony within the harbor which is a nice easy dive, especially as you don't have to worry about sharks. try the dive victoria web site for dives to these sites.

Further afield I've heard the diving around wilsons promentary is really good: havn't been there myself but ask around on the diveoz board.

Marine life? One word: seadragons. The most beautiful fish in the sea.

Cheers,
Rohan.

7 mil or a drysuit? :frosty: Ouch!
It probably would not bother me, but my wife and my daughter would end up waving at me from the surface :errrr:

So I guess diving near Melbourne is out.

Ok - follow up question. What would be the closest location to Melbourne you guys could recommend, where we could go diving in a 5mm ?? I don't mind making a sub-trip out of it.
Don't know when I will have another chance to dive down-under, so I got to find a way. :popcorn:

Thanks again
Jerzy

I have dived Melbourne in a 5mm semi dry at any time of the year with no problems. (Buy I dive in cold water all the time)
5mm or better if your a warm water diver

Hi Jerzy,

I've been diving in Melbourne for around 15 years, so I figure I'm qualified to answer your question :)

In December, you'll likely be getting outside temperature anywhere between 25ºC and 40ºC (77ºF to 104ºF) Water temperature will be around 18ºC (65ºF), depending on whereabouts and how deep you go. A 5mm may be OK for you. I dive a 7mm semidry 12 months a year in water temp down to 10ºC (50ºF) in winter.

The Melbourne CBD is at the most inland part of Port Phillip Bay, and there's bugger-all diving around there. To get to the real dive sites, you need to head down the coast in either direction (usually South East, towards Portsea) about 1½-2hrs drive.

The most popular dive operator is Dive Victora who run three boats (I think) out of Portsea, and usually half a dozen dives per day. I usually dive with A.B. Ocean Divers who are more club-based, and run their boat usually every Sunday and local shore dives on Saturdays.

Expect to pay around AU$50 for a dive, plus gear rental.

if you want shore dives, there are a few good spots in the bay closer to the city, but depths are shallow, and usually in the 4m-8m range (12-24ft). Good spots are Brighton, Black Rock and Beaumaris (about 20mins from the city) and a then a bit further out Mornington Pier (which is about half way between the city and the dive operators at Portsea. For most of these you will probably need a local diver to show you where the reef is. Most non-diver Melbournians don't believe me when I tell them there is more than just sand at those spots!

You'll see plenty of sting rays, nudibranchs, snapper, banjo sharks, old wives and boarfish no matter where you go. If you dive off the boats, some of the other sights are sea horses, leaft sea dragons, seals, port jackson sharks, cowfish, blue devils and if you look hard enough a few crayfish.

If you decide to get wet, some of the highly recommended boat dive sites include the J4 Sub (also called the 27m sub), anchor wall, boarfish reef and castle rock. You'll definately also want to get onto one of the drift dives. A whole lot of water flows in and out of the Port Phillip Heads, which are only just over 1km wide, which can make for some serious drift current!

If you want warmer water, you're going to have to go a long way out of Melbourne. If you're flying, Sydney is the first stop. If you're driving, probably somewhere like Eden or Merimbula, which are about 5hrs drive away, and the water will be no more than two or three degrees warmer.

My recommendation is get out on a dive. Hire a 7mm and give it a go - they're not that different to a 5mm!! If you head down to Portsea, the shop is right at the pier, so you can put the kit on, and go for a try out dive in about 5m (15ft) under Portsea pier to test the water, wetsuit and weighting.

Thank you all for a wonderful description and info. It was enough to convince my girls to give it a try. Possibility of seeing Sting Rays, Sea Horses and Sea Dragons tipped the scale.
We are looking forward to our visit to this fine city.

Can't wait !!!

Thanks again
Jerzy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom