Beginner certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi everyone,

I will be visiting Australia in December from London, UK and had scuba diving number 1 on my list. However, although I want to obtain a entry level certificate in scuba diving I am not entirely sure what class/lesson to go for. Could you please recommend the most preferred and common option for new starters like myself.

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions for best dive locations in Melbourne and/or sydney.

Regards,

Can

You’re probably looking for a PADI Open Water Diver course. There are many alternatives, and the pros and cons of each can be discussed endlessly, but this is the most common and most basic starting point. If you are also looking to maybe dive in the UK in the future you might want to look for a BSAC club instead and see what they offer.

You’re probably looking for a PADI Open Water Diver course. There are many alternatives, and the pros and cons of each can be discussed endlessly, but this is the most common and most basic starting point. If you are also looking to maybe dive in the UK in the future you might want to look for a BSAC club instead and see what they offer.
Noted, I did come across the PADI Open Water Course a few times and will most likely divert my research towards that. Thank you for the heads up on the BSAC club also - looks very interesting.

Dive schools all around Australia and most are PADI or SSI. Both identical structure and recognised worldwide. So you can take SSI OW course which will count as a prerequisite to PADI Advanced etc

I'm PADI but started BSAC and CMAS and been pro for many years. BSAC more club level and great for experiencing different techniques but takes long time to get certified.

PADI or SSI generally 4 days and have online options for the theory.

Personally I recommend doing the full course with a group to get the most out of it.

I'm based in Cairns so on the Barriet Reef with courses starting daily in many schools

Day trip or overnight options. Bit more info here if you do get up north

Just a couple (very minor) outdated items on the page regarding Pro Dive. Boats take 32, not 26 passengers (unless that's the max OW students they'd take vs boat capacity, which seems odd as it's not a multiple of 4, 6 or 8). OW Courses start Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri until October when they run Mon-Sat (trip starts two days later). Also, passport photos aren't an inclusion, you just upload a selfie to the PADI site now.

Noted, I did come across the PADI Open Water Course a few times and will most likely divert my research towards that. Thank you for the heads up on the BSAC club also - looks very interesting.
BSAC do on-line theory, you can do the sheltered water lessons before you go, then finish off with one of the 2 BSAC clubs in Sydney. See here.

In reality it doesn’t matter which agency you choose. All teach how to use a regulator, buoyancy device and mask fins & snorkel. You can use the link above to find a BSAC club in the U.K.

Dive schools all around Australia and most are PADI or SSI. Both identical structure and recognised worldwide. So you can take SSI OW course which will count as a prerequisite to PADI Advanced etc

I'm PADI but started BSAC and CMAS and been pro for many years. BSAC more club level and great for experiencing different techniques but takes long time to get certified.

PADI or SSI generally 4 days and have online options for the theory.

Personally I recommend doing the full course with a group to get the most out of it.

I'm based in Cairns so on the Barriet Reef with courses starting daily in many schools

This is very informative, thank you for this. Unfortunately won't have time to visit Cairns however will be on my list for next time. Thank you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom