Where should I come in Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Cairns which is considered the gateway to the Barrier Reef. 30 years here as dive pro so got pretty good idea!

Cyclone season is bit of a sham and can count the number.ber of cancelled trips on the fingers of one hand, although conditions can get rough. Affects day trips more than overnight.

Plenty of great options for overnight trips.

Best months Sept and Oct or April May.

However the Minke whale migration season is June to September and is awesome. Trips usually combine Ribbon Reef areas (remote far north and more advanced diving) or Coral Sea ( shark feeds and 30m / 100ft viz).

See here for more info of GBR areas and here for Minke info.

Drop me a PM if you need anyone info but for your level diver I would recommend Ribbon Reef trip and the Yongala wreck.

New years eve eve 2019 for me, did a 3 night liveaboard from Townsville finishing on the Yongala. I reckon equal top 3 with the Coolage and Manta Point Nusa Penida. I'm off to the Philippines next week with a week at Moalboal then a week at Tubbataha, that list might change after that :)
Squeezing in a last minute work trip to Australia (Sydney) next week, and both the Ribbon Reef options are full :( Seems the Yongala's the next best bet :oops:

Do you remember which operator you did the 3 night liveaboard with? Did your list change?

Don't think anyone does regular overnight to Yongala. Mike Ball used to do occasional trips.

Adrenalin out of Townsville run bigger boat 3 times a week to Yongala so you may get lucky there.

If you get up further north to Cairns there's still day or overnight trips to Outer Reef

Thank you! Managed to grab two nights on Lady Elliot Island
The food is fantastic, did you score a Friday night, the seafood is very good.
And a "Reef Cabin" is best , if you can get one, they go quick, when not scuba diving, the snorkeling is good on the North side [near the lighthouse], it's all good, depends on the wind and time of year.
Night glass bottom boat trip is worth it also, and again, depends on the tide and wind.
Enjoy.

The food is fantastic, did you score a Friday night, the seafood is very good.
And a "Reef Cabin" is best , if you can get one, they go quick, when not scuba diving, the snorkeling is good on the North side [near the lighthouse], it's all good, depends on the wind and time of year.
Night glass bottom boat trip is worth it also, and again, depends on the tide and wind.
Enjoy.
Yes! A reef cabin room was the only thing left and one night is a Friday, so seems like I lucked out :D Looks like the night dives are fairly rare, but fingers crossed on a boat trip and weather playing nice next week

but fingers crossed on a boat trip and weather playing nice next week
You will get dives in, there is always a lee side of this island to dive, it is only a speck in the big blue with an airstrip and cabins.
They make their own water, recycle everything and run on solar power, cylinder fills are air , the deepest I have dived there is 20m.
The rental gear is looked after [I take my own except weights] , so no problems with their gear, the guides and boat coxswains know their stuff.
My only 'beef' is the beer prices. :happywave:
Enjoy.:acclaim:

And Al 80 cylinders,.

Back
Top Bottom