Question GBR in October, Single Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm starting to plan a trip to dive somewhere on the Great Barrier Reef in October 2024, and had some questions I was hoping the group could answer.

1) I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing a live-aboard. I'll be traveling solo, and not sure I want to share a bunk room with a stranger. Does anyone have a recommendation for a live-aboard that offers single rooms?

2) Assuming there aren't single room live-aboards, how much will I be missing out on if I do day trips out of Port Douglas or Cairns?

3) How is the diving in October? Does this area of the reef have strong currents? I'm assuming with diving being so popular there are places for beginner divers. My experience is mostly Monterey, CA, so I'm used to some swell and low viz, but just haven't done any drift diving and would rather not.

4) Any operator recommendations who can provide a guide? Again, being a single diver I won't have my own buddy and in the past I usually get paired up with the DM for group tours as my buddy (which I love btw knowing that my buddy is experienced and not just someone random). Also, I know most of the boats are huge cattle boats, are there any smaller operators people would recommend (I'm not a fan of crowds).

5) Finally, is the GBR overrated? Are there other places in eastern Australia I should consider to skip the crowds? I know the GBR is iconic, but is it not worth the effort with how popular it is. I'm thinking about how many of the National Parks here in the US are so overcrowded, it's not even worthwhile to go anymore. I plan on pairing this trip with doing some diving in NZ at Poor Knights, so I'm open right now to flying either to or from Australia to/from Aukland.

Thanks in advance for any tips, tricks, recommendations, or advice!

1) I've done lots of solo liveaboards. It's always been fine, but only you know how you feel about sharing a room with a stranger. There's always a solo room available if you're prepared to pay twice the price!

5) Yes, the GBR is over-rated, mainly because it's health has declined. Personally, I would aim to get to the Coral Sea.

Hmm, poking around online and looking at some alternatives, I'm wondering if something like Lady Elliot Island would be better for me paired up with other sites around Brisbane (Julian Rocks sound great). A big advantage is I can catch a nonstop flight to Brisbane both from NZ and California and vice versa, but with Cairns I'd have to take an additional flight during my trip to Brisbane or Sydney (extra cost, extra time).

I would miss Daintree though, that's another Port Douglas /Cairns draw for me.

I'm based in Cairns and have been a pro diver here since the 90s. It's the gateway to the GBR and has a lot of options for both day trips and overnight.

September and October are my 2 favourite months as it's just before the monsoon season and generally, the seas are flat and calm.

I don't think the Reef is overrated at all and is recovering pretty well. There are still a lot of great spots to visit on a variety of trips.

The best overnight trips really are those that go to the Ribbon Reef areas and Coral Sea (Mike Ball and Spirit of Freedom). They go to the far north and have generally more advanced and less visited Reef areas.

Port Douglas has a few day trips but Cairns has the majority, and the Daintree and Tablands are a great draw card for land-based activities.

Yongala down the coast of Qld is an amazing dive, so if you are driving up the coast it's well worth a stop.

Feel free to drop me a DM if you need a bit of local advice and doesn't have to be diving-related.

@Aquapro Dive Services has summarized it very well!

I use to live in Australia and actually the GBR is where I got my OW/AOW additionally as a kid we use to holiday in Cairns. I really really like Cairns and the area I don't know what it is about the area but it has a different vibe and I guess after spending so much time there it just stuck with me.

I am assuming your coming from CA and your doing Australia as a holiday and diving is an add on to the trip. If that is the case and you have made the journey all the way to Australia then make the extra little trip to Cairns and dive the GBR. I will agree with some others that commented that it is a little overrated but its still totally worth diving!! I mean how can you go all the way to Australia and get that close and not dive the GBR. But like mentioned above get out to the Chain Reefs its still beautiful diving and much different then the scuba factory reefs out of Cairns. Plus Daintreee and Tablands are a must see as well

And also as mentioned above if you have a rental car make your way down to the Yongala. Very nice and worth the drive!!

I mean how can you go all the way to Australia and get that close and not dive the GBR
This is my thinking as well. I've always wanted to visit Australia, and part of that is to go diving while I'm there, but not necessarily GBR, though it's so iconic! And yes, I'll be flying from San Francisco and this is purely a holiday trip for me. I don't travel much, but Australia has always been a bucket list trip for me.

However, I'm getting the impression that for the GBR I have two options. Day trip on mega boats, or liveaboards that will be very expensive (along with cabin share in my situation or even more expensive to get a sole cabin). I've seen some of the pictures of the day trip boats out of Cairns and Port Douglas, and I have to say those look like a bit of a nightmare situation to me.

I'm starting to think it'd be better to save my money and do a proper bespoke liveaboard trip when I can afford it. I was looking at the Spirit of Freedom, and it's already booked up for what I could afford in October 2024! I was going to pair my visit to Australia with a stop in New Zealand, but now I'm wondering if I should just pick one or the other.

Thanks for all the great info everyone, it's very helpful!

Western Australia has some great diving, but receives far fewer visitors
I'd love to do Western Australia, but getting there from California....ooof!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom