Question Questions on Poor Knights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm hoping for some information on diving the Poor Knights Islands. I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia, and I'm finally putting together a plan to go in October 2024. I'll probably have about a week to ten days in NZ and the same in Australia. I hope to dive Poor Knights for 2-3 days. I'm hoping to fly into Aukland, spend time on the North Island, and then take a direct flight from there to Cairns to go dive the GBR. Anyway, on to my questions?

1) With the pandemic, and other factors, it's been several years since my last dive. I plan on taking a refresher course before my trip, but are there "beginner" dives at Poor Knights? I've never dived a site with substantial current and I'm wondering what the dive conditions are really like, especially in October. I was certified in Monterey, CA in very rough conditions, so I don't mind swell, low viz, or cold water, but drift diving just isn't something I've done before.

2) I'll be traveling alone, is getting a guide an option with the dive companies? I know when I've gone diving in Hawaii, the dive operators there have a dive master that leads the group (and I usually get paired up with them as my buddy since I never have my own). However, diving here in California you're on your own, the company just gives you the ride on the boat and then you're on your own. Hiring a buddy is extra, and not provided by the diver operator. How does it work in NZ for Poor Knights?

3) Any tips / tricks / recommendations for staying in and around Tutukaka? I'm not a "city" person, and probably won't stay in Aukland if I can avoid it other than to recover from the long flight (13-14 hours!) after I arrive, and I'd like to see some of the other sites around the North Island while I'm there. Too bad I probably won't have time to do the South Island though : (

4) I'll probably only bring my mask with me and rent all the other gear during the trip. Are there any pieces of equipment that aren't rent-able from the Poor Knights operators that I should bring? I'm a bigger guy, so I will have to double-check if I'll need to buy and bring my own wet-suit. What type of suit is usually used for Poor Knights in October. For reference, I dive Monterey in a 7mm farm John style wet-suit, and Hawaii I was ok in a 3mm shortie and probably could have dove without a wet-suit and been ok.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide!

I'm hoping for some information on diving the Poor Knights Islands. I've always wanted to visit New Zealand and Australia, and I'm finally putting together a plan to go in October 2024. I'll probably have about a week to ten days in NZ and the same in Australia. I hope to dive Poor Knights for 2-3 days. I'm hoping to fly into Aukland, spend time on the North Island, and then take a direct flight from there to Cairns to go dive the GBR. Anyway, on to my questions?

1) With the pandemic, and other factors, it's been several years since my last dive. I plan on taking a refresher course before my trip, but are there "beginner" dives at Poor Knights? I've never dived a site with substantial current and I'm wondering what the dive conditions are really like, especially in October. I was certified in Monterey, CA in very rough conditions, so I don't mind swell, low viz, or cold water, but drift diving just isn't something I've done before.

2) I'll be traveling alone, is getting a guide an option with the dive companies? I know when I've gone diving in Hawaii, the dive operators there have a dive master that leads the group (and I usually get paired up with them as my buddy since I never have my own). However, diving here in California you're on your own, the company just gives you the ride on the boat and then you're on your own. Hiring a buddy is extra, and not provided by the diver operator. How does it work in NZ for Poor Knights?

3) Any tips / tricks / recommendations for staying in and around Tutukaka? I'm not a "city" person, and probably won't stay in Aukland if I can avoid it other than to recover from the long flight (13-14 hours!) after I arrive, and I'd like to see some of the other sites around the North Island while I'm there. Too bad I probably won't have time to do the South Island though : (

4) I'll probably only bring my mask with me and rent all the other gear during the trip. Are there any pieces of equipment that aren't rent-able from the Poor Knights operators that I should bring? I'm a bigger guy, so I will have to double-check if I'll need to buy and bring my own wet-suit. What type of suit is usually used for Poor Knights in October. For reference, I dive Monterey in a 7mm farm John style wet-suit, and Hawaii I was ok in a 3mm shortie and probably could have dove without a wet-suit and been ok.

I can answer Q3 or Q4 much but...

Dive Tutukaka definitely can cater to people with less experience. They will likely sort a buddy if you don't have one. I would give them a call to discuss, they will be able to advise. Also on the gear hire.

In respect of current, it is not really an issue at the Poor Knights.

Book it in, you will have a lovely time and a few more dives will set you up nicely for the time in Aussie.

It’s been years since I’ve dived in NZ but seconding what @SurteesDiver said, I’m sure dive Tutukaka will look after you. They are the “big” operator (and a good one) that caters for everyone from absolute beginners to divers with thousands of dives, and everyone in between. I suggest getting in touch with them to confirm wetsuit (pretty sure 7mm is the go, either one or two piece), other gear, and a group to dive with. There are some tropical fish at Poor Knights, but they are a long way from home and the seas are definitely not tropical. Expect water temps around 15-18C (~59-64F) around that time of year.
I also dived with Yukon Dive, a small operator who are great if you are there with a few people, can look after yourselves, and want the whole boat/site to yourselves. Probably not what you are looking for, but I thought I’d mention it in case your plans happen to change and you end up in Auckland and come across other divers.
I definitely understand not being a city person. You’ll be right at home in Tutukaka. You might even be pleasantly surprised by Auckland - it is a city and has city things, but it isn’t huge or crowded, had water to the east and hills in every other direction, and the people are friendly.

Not hard diving at Poor Knights. As others have said Dive Tutukaka is great. No guides normally from my memory, we were in a small group so dived with each other.

Its still pretty cold here in October. A good quality 7mm is needed.

There are some wrecks around (HMNZS Canterbury, Rainbow warrior) that are shallow and get a lot of inexperienced divers on them.

As others have said Dive Tutukaka is a great company to dive with. They ALWAYS have crew that will guide you if you do not feel comfortable diving with an unknown dive buddy. There is no extra charge for being guided. They will be happy to offer a refresher dive at a price but you may not really need that. Also, New Zealand does not believe in tipping ( that includes dining, diving and everything else) so if you do you will be in the very small minority. There CAN be currents at some places at the Poor Knights but you will be warned beforehand. Dive Tutukaka has their prices posted on their website. Their prices are probably high by US standards but normal for New Zealand. If you dive with them say hi to Kate (the owner) for me.

Dive Tutukaka has accomodations. I've seen them and they are clean but never had a need to stay there since we live close by.

October is near the end of winter in New Zealand and the water can be chilly but not super cold. 14 degrees C is about normal for the mainland at that time of year. The Poor Knights are normally slightly warmer than the mainland because of the Australian current that comes down to the Poor Knights.

The visibility in the winter is much better than the summer because there is a lot less plankton and other little critters floating around. I have dived in clearer places but have never dived in a place that has the variety and abundance of sealife you will encounter at the Poor Knights.

There are opportunities to do very good wreck diving in Northland if you are into that I can make some suggestions ( did two penetration dives into the Waikato wreck today 4 Feb 2024).

I'm an American from California. Been in New Zealand for 30 years and love it here. Might be fun to get together but I ll warn you I'm 76 years old.

Yukon Dive no longer exists but divenow.co.nz is a smaller company that also goes to the Poor Knights. Further North is Northland Dive with a good reputation. They also have accomodations.

If you drive from Auckland to Tutukaka it will take you about 3 hours. Windy dangerous two lane road. Perhaps consider flying into Whangarei and driving from there. 1/2 hour to Tutukaka where most of the dive boats to the Poor Knights leave from

Hope you have a great time.

I went solo with Dive Tutukaka on my trip. They were great, and I rented all the gear I needed from them. I went early November and the visibility was pretty good. Water was 16C.

I'll second Aukland not feeling like a big city, it's a pretty relaxed place. My main memory is of excellent coffee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom