Question Seeking Advice from the Dive Community with experience at Tiger Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey fellow divers, I could use your insights and experiences as I contemplate fulfilling a lifelong dream: diving with Tiger Sharks. 🐅🦈

Years ago, I attempted day dives at Tiger Beach, but poor sea conditions thwarted my plans. Now, I’m considering a liveaboard, but recent shark incidents and uncertainty about local dive culture/mitigation of safety risks have given me pause.

I’ve had my fair share of shark encounters, from Hammerheads in the Galápagos to bull sharks feedings in Fiji and whites in South Africa. However, my preference is for more passive shark observation rather than highly interactive experiences, which was touted by one of the well known operators I spoke to.

Some concerns/preferences I have:
I’ve seen videos of divers physically redirecting sharks with hands and camera gear. I prefer less physical interaction. Can this be controlled for, such as physical placement in the group or safety diver intervention? I don’t intend to have camera gear.

It seems there’s a pool-type entry/exit, and I’m unsure about the level of support for emergencies or the availability of spotters for mitigating risks at the surface. I’m confident in my diving abilities but less so in handling scenarios regarding direct shark interactions or emergencies.

Some operators have mixed reviews regarding culture and assistance during the dive. Do these assessments seem fair? Staff-to-diver ratio appears less than other predatory dives I’ve been on. My previous experiences had more staff in the water, providing a sense of security.

I’m looking at 1 or 2 days of diving on a liveaboard to minimize disappointment and costs associated with cancellations with day excursions.

Would greatly appreciate any advice, personal experiences, or recommendations you can share. Safety is paramount to me, as is respectful consideration of an individuals own comfort in mitigating risks while not discounting the desire to observe these majestic creatures.

Thanks in advance! 🙏 Appreciate respectful responses.

50 yo mother and shark lover.

I have not dove Tiger Beach.

Have you considered tiger shark diving out of Jupiter, FL? My told trip report - Emerald Charters Trip Report 2017 - Trip Report - Emerald Dive Charters Trip Report

Here's what I'd hope you might consider, if things haven't changed too much since I was there back in 2017:

1.) Smaller tiger sharks - of the 3 I saw, the 2 big females were said to be nearly 10 feet long. That...in my opinion was big enough.

2.) Fewer tiger sharks - on one dive we had 2, the other tiger dives one. I've seen Tiger Beach trip reports describing dives with several and needing to have your 'head on a swivel,' which is a good idea diving with any number of tiger sharks higher than 'zero,' but still...

3.) If you want to try it a couple of days, without committing to a full liveaboard experience, a land-based day trip operator has some obvious advantages. You'd have non-shark feed diving (I liked Jupiter Dive Center back in 2014 - Jupiter 2014 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/491927-jupiter-trip-report-9-7-14-9-11-14-a.html ), Blue Heron Bridge diving (basically one shore dive for the day, but really something special), and the topside offerings of southeastern FL.

4.) We didn't have the level of intensity that you seem leery of.

I'm not saying it's better than the liveaboard offerings, just that from what I understand the two differ, and in case you haven't heard about the Jupiter area option, it might interest you.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I am open to day excursions, probably would be my preference but was just given feedback from one of the well known operators that cancellations due to adverse sea conditions are all too common, which was my previous experience attempting to depart from West End of Grand Bahamas for a day trip out to Tiger Beach. I’ll definitely check out the operator. A dive with 1-3 tigers vs 5-7 is more in line with my sensibilities.

By the time May comes around, the weather in the Bahamas is generally much better than the winter months when there are high number of tigers around. There are still plenty of tiger sharks in May, and the weather is usually cooperative. That being said, there are still days in the spring that end up in cancellations. It's just the nature of the dive site being far offshore and unprotected from any significant weather. I hope that helps in your planning :)

By the time May comes around, the weather in the Bahamas is generally much better than the winter months when there are high number of tigers around. There are still plenty of tiger sharks in May, and the weather is usually cooperative. That being said, there are still days in the spring that end up in cancellations. It's just the nature of the dive site being far offshore and unprotected from any significant weather. I hope that helps in your planning :)
Thank you for your response. Based on your experience or opinion, could you recommend dive operators that prioritize less immersive and more conservative encounters with sharks? Conversely, are there operators known for offering more immersive experiences or taking higher risks that may not align with my preferences? I’m curious how much the encounter is influenced by the behavior of the sharks themselves versus the approach taken by dive operators.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom