Crescent Beach/Honokohau Harbor Shore Dive help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishtn

Contributor
Reaction score
I have lots of dives and experience diving from boats with a guide (over 500 dives). Unfortunately I have very little experience doing any type of shore diving. I've heard such good things about Crescent Beach, especially getting the chance to see a Tiger shark. I've read it's a long walk to the actual entry point and that's fine. My question is regarding the navigation for a dive like this for someone with my inexperience. The 3 shore dives I did were basically impossible to get turned around etc. Can someone tell me if I'm dumb for even thinking about diving here? I know boats sometimes dive this site as well, but the appeal of a shore dive is growing on me. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I just swam straight out from the beach down the slope and turned left away from the harbour. Some people just stay in the area straight out from the beach or turn right a bit towards the harbour. If there is a bit of swell up, leaving the small bay can be a bit tricky since there are some shallow rocks at the entrance that you don't want to get dragged over. This is my report with some photos from last Fall:dogbeach

Aloha. While I'm sure some Kona professionals are the best to answer this IMHO you'd be best to do this dive from the boat. There are a number of companies that can happily take you on an amazing dive at that spot. The issue IMHO again is that you are (depending on where exactly you go) going to have to cross the boat channel to get to the actual site. Boats will be flying overhead as it is a quite busy harbor. If you were to get off course and have navigation issues surfacing to obtain a course back in could be scary to say the least. The walk isn't likely going to be the issue as you mentioned. It's really just the issue of diving in a boat channel / harbor entrance. Just because some people are doing it - doesn't mean it is a good idea. Even if you stayed shallow on the south side to avoid the channel you would potentially be diving right where the dive boats go to hook up. I'm just trying to kindly respond with the safety perspective and don't wish to dampen your excitement. I'm sure some Kona folks will have some input that will best guide you. Over on Kauai we have a well known lava tube dive that people regularly get into trouble trying to reach from shore so I'm very familiar with a somewhat similar situation. Boats simply aren't looking for bubbles all the time especially when there isn't a dive flag present. Good luck and I do hope you have an amazing time on the Big Isle. There are so many fantastic dive professionals and companies there.
A

The walk is not that bad but as mentioned you are in a very active boat channel so your navigation skills should be pretty good. I get why people want to do it as a shore dive and I have done it from shore because it sucks paying for a boat dive and you pull up literally a minute from dock some of the boats call it Ripoff Reef. That said I have seen a Tiger Shark there as well as dolphins so it is a good sight but in my opinion there are many other shore dives on the island that are better and you don't have boats buzzing overhead.

Thank you. We decided to just stick to boat dives this vacation. I'm just not confident enough in my navigation skills and I'd be leading my 16 year old son. I'll just let the professionals lead us both lol.

We did 4 shore dives and they were all great and easy. Used my compass and never had any navigation issues, even at the Harbor. Couldn't find any Tigers sadly but the dive was still awesome. Big accomplishment for me though in regards to navigation. LOL but I feel much better about my skills as a result. Used Kona Huna Divers and they were awesome. Great people, great gear. Very helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom