Monterey Dive Boats with Guides?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My understanding is that none of the dive boats in Monterey offer guided boat dives, they just give you a ride to the dive site and then you're on your own. Therefore, it seems like if I wanted to do a guided boat dive, I would have to hire a guide, and then pay for their trip on the boat on top of their cost for guiding the dives. Am I correct?

For more context....I've sadly not been able to dive for a long time, but I'm planning a trip to New Zealand in October and I hope to go diving while I'm there. However, I'll need to get in some dives before then. I'll also be taking a refresher course somewhere in the Sacramento Area (haven't figured where yet), but after that I'd like to maybe try some boat dives out of Monterey. I've done shore dives there (Pt. Lobos, Breakwater for my cert.), but I'd much prefer a boat dive especially since the Breakwater gets so crowded and it can be a long walk if the parking lot is full, and Pt. Lobos has the long surface swim.

Anyway, any recommendations for boats / guides would be great! Note, my certification level is OW if that makes a difference, my understanding is that some boats only take AOW divers.

My understanding is that none of the dive boats in Monterey offer guided boat dives, they just give you a ride to the dive site and then you're on your own. Therefore, it seems like if I wanted to do a guided boat dive, I would have to hire a guide, and then pay for their trip on the boat on top of their cost for guiding the dives. Am I correct?

This is no longer completely accurate. Monterey Bay Scuba, the shop in front of Breakwater sort of does guided boat dives. You go on a 2 tank dive. The first one farther ashore with the DM, which you can do as a "classic" follow the leader type of dive. The second dive where they drop you off at the end of the wall and then you surface swim back home.

For more context....I've sadly not been able to dive for a long time, but I'm planning a trip to New Zealand in October and I hope to go diving while I'm there. However, I'll need to get in some dives before then. I'll also be taking a refresher course somewhere in the Sacramento Area (haven't figured where yet), but after that I'd like to maybe try some boat dives out of Monterey. I've done shore dives there (Pt. Lobos, Breakwater for my cert.), but I'd much prefer a boat dive especially since the Breakwater gets so crowded and it can be a long walk if the parking lot is full, and Pt. Lobos has the long surface swim.

Anyway, any recommendations for boats / guides would be great! Note, my certification level is OW if that makes a difference, my understanding is that some boats only take AOW divers.

Apart from the Monterey Bay Scuba boat, the other option would be the Beach Hopper 2. I think the Escapade occasionally gets chartered by Diver Dans, but they (I think) require AOW.

In terms of guides, I'd recommend reaching out to Randall Spangler.

The Double Down is a local 6 pack and Capt Rick will absolutely guide you on dives if requested. Contact Pinnacles Dive Center in Novato to get ahold of him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom