Where should I come in Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everyone,

I just got connected to some family that now lives in Melbourne. They were inviting me over. Since I am based in US East coast, I had ruled out Australia as one of those far off out of the way places that you can dream about but won’t really happen.

So can anyone shoot some suggestions as to where in Australia should I plan for and at which time of the year? Any and all input is appreciated.

You may be interested in this area for some wreck diving. Jervis Bay is well known and no too far from Melbourne by Australian standards.
For me a dive to Perth from where I grew up in the ACT was only 4 - 5 dives one way lol. Townsville Cairns and north QLD only a couple of days and shorter trips were a six pack or two lol.

If you plan on a GBR trip then I agree with @shearcaigh that the Yongala is an awesome wreck dive. Cairns to Alva Beach, where Yongala Dive are, is about a five and a half drive fromCairns, but give yourself a few days there, the site is very exposed and weather dependant

Yongala, there's no much of it left and you can't enter it anyway, but everything that lives there is MASSIVE!
When the weather is right there is not a dive to match it in the world, big call I know [only had one better, but was a fluke never to be repeated], don't ask.
If you have a chance to dive SS Yongala it should be on every experienced diver's 'bucket list'.
My account was from years ago, I am told it is still an A+++ dive not to be missed.

When the weather is right there is not a dive to match it in the world, big call I know [only had one better, but was a fluke never to be repeated], don't ask.
If you have a chance to dive it should be on every experienced diver's 'bucket list'.
My account was from years ago, I am told it is still an A+++ dive.
New years eve eve 2019 for me, did a 3 night liveaboard from Townsville finishing on the Yongala. I reckon equal top 3 with the Coolage and Manta Point Nusa Penida. I'm off to the Philippines next week with a week at Moalboal then a week at Tubbataha, that list might change after that :)

Btw, say that and you know I'm gunna lol

Well?
Not here.
I may PM you "if I feel the need" to share.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom