Where should I come in Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK.
A trip report when done, please.

I am booked for 6 days next year, scuba and freediving, the freedivers saw more manta rays than the scuba divers last time I was there.
The scuba divers said the the freedivers were spooking the manta away, which could be true, some were kicking down close to them.
On every dive I could hear the whales singing as they passed the island going North, which was nice.

New years eve eve 2019 for me, did a 3 night liveaboard from Townsville finishing on the Yongala. I reckon equal top 3 with the Coolage and Manta Point Nusa Penida. I'm off to the Philippines next week with a week at Moalboal then a week at Tubbataha, that list might change after that :)
Which liveaboard were you on that goes from Townsville? We'll be in Australia in November and can only find ones that leave from Cairns.

Which liveaboard were you on that goes from Townsville? We'll be in Australia in November and can only find ones that leave from Cairns.
Adrenalin Dive is the only one offering overnight trips out of Townsville. Cairns has the majority

Hope you don't mind me posting here rather than opening a new thread, but it's kinda related. My partner and I are thinking about a FNQ trip next May, coming up from SYD. Never done the GBR before, so hope I can get some guidance on how best to tackle it. Situation is:

* Partner doesn't dive, but does love the beach so we'd need a place that can balance both a decent beach for her but a decent day boat option for me, so we're leaning towards PD. Are we on the right track with that assumption? Neither or us are night life junkies, but we do like a variety of eating options.

* I'm not massively experienced <50 dives. Deepest dive so far is 25m, though I did train and do my first 20 odd dives in UK waters with big tides, some current etc, and have done some boat dives with quite a bit of swell (yeah... that a fun baptism of fire), so I'd say I've experienced a far variety of less than ideal conditions. I'd like to dive with a guide as a failsafe, and also because I don't want to miss the highlights of a site, nor be a distraction/frustration for a buddy who has paid good money for their trip and doesn't want to stop me stupiding myself to death (hopefully not necessary, but, ya know... no guarantees on that front). I will be bringing all of my own kit except tanks/weights (we're flying up)

* I'd feel happier with a smaller boat, or least be split into smaller groups. I'm not fussed about luxurious facilities, and boat movement doesn't bother me, but being in a large group in the water isn't something I'm used to or something I imagine being much fun.

* Corals and reef fish are my thing over big pelagics. Rays are awesome and all, but if push comes to shove healthy coral and colourful reef life > Big Things.

Any idea on particular boats / operators / particular reefs to aim for would be great, and if PD is the right choice for a base? Finally, while we're up that neck of the woods, at my level of experience, is it worth taking a few days out to try and do the Yongalla, or would it be best to save that for another time?

As a Cairns local it may have the vast majority of Reef trips running out of here, but the sandy beaches are further north.

Port Douglas is much smaller touristy spot and great beaches. Not many options for Reef trips, however I do recommend Silversonic as its fast, good service, and goes to great dive locations.

Plenty for your missus to do whilst you dive!

Yongala is a long way from PD so would be a dedicated trip and not much for a non diver to do in Alva Beach near Ayr. However you can stay at the van park where the shop is and your back by 2.30 so again your partner can relax.

Yongala is well worth the effort.

Feel free to DM me if you need bit of advice on things to do in the Cairns/ PD area. Doesn't have to be diving related! 😊

Hope you don't mind me posting here rather than opening a new thread, but it's kinda related. My partner and I are thinking about a FNQ trip next May, coming up from SYD. Never done the GBR before, so hope I can get some guidance on how best to tackle it. Situation is:

* Partner doesn't dive, but does love the beach so we'd need a place that can balance both a decent beach for her but a decent day boat option for me, so we're leaning towards PD. Are we on the right track with that assumption? Neither or us are night life junkies, but we do like a variety of eating options.

* I'm not massively experienced <50 dives. Deepest dive so far is 25m, though I did train and do my first 20 odd dives in UK waters with big tides, some current etc, and have done some boat dives with quite a bit of swell (yeah... that a fun baptism of fire), so I'd say I've experienced a far variety of less than ideal conditions. I'd like to dive with a guide as a failsafe, and also because I don't want to miss the highlights of a site, nor be a distraction/frustration for a buddy who has paid good money for their trip and doesn't want to stop me stupiding myself to death (hopefully not necessary, but, ya know... no guarantees on that front). I will be bringing all of my own kit except tanks/weights (we're flying up)

* I'd feel happier with a smaller boat, or least be split into smaller groups. I'm not fussed about luxurious facilities, and boat movement doesn't bother me, but being in a large group in the water isn't something I'm used to or something I imagine being much fun.

* Corals and reef fish are my thing over big pelagics. Rays are awesome and all, but if push comes to shove healthy coral and colourful reef life > Big Things.

Any idea on particular boats / operators / particular reefs to aim for would be great, and if PD is the right choice for a base? Finally, while we're up that neck of the woods, at my level of experience, is it worth taking a few days out to try and do the Yongalla, or would it be best to save that for another time?
Hi @JasmineNeedsGills

Just saw your post about your visit to PD.

I live and work in PD (dive instructor), and happy to help with any info that might help, though I know it's probably last minute!

Martin

Hi @JasmineNeedsGills

I live and work in PD (dive instructor), and happy to help with any info that might help, though I know it's probably last minute!

Martin

Hi @JasmineNeedsGills

Martin
Hi Martin-
My travel/dive partner and I are looking to come into Cairns/PD mid April for a week to dive GBR before moving on to Thailand 4/24/24. From what I’m reading doing a live aboard is high on the list. Both experienced divers. We’re not into all the bells and whistles of vacation type trips but prefer local immersion. We are reaching out to our DM connects around the world as well. Any input would be highly appreciated.
Beth Ann

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom