Menstration Sucks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garbage bag doesn't have to be HUGE.. shopping bag would be fine.. then if you have any other garbage you can put it in too..

dive doubles? (no, not side by side.) Really, I saw this suggested once.

There is a product out called "Instead". It is a cup that inserts like a diaphragm and holds the fluid rather than absorb it. You can wear it twice as long as a tampon and up to 12 hours on lighter flow days. I've used it on dive days, sometimes with a tampon for extra security, and find that it does the job quite well. The removal can be a bit messy...a small price to pay, though, if you ask me. I've seen it at several of the large drug store chains.

Ya, but the only problem w/ that is bacteria and toxic shock increase probably for leaving a tampon in too long. plus i'm usually med.-heavy until the last day where its like non-existant yet still need light protection. But i'm more concerned on the heavy days w/ the build up fluid/bacteria. Plus, I've never dove in another country before, so... Also to clear things up, this isnt a liveaboard, its a research boat used just to shuttle divers, nothing fancy, thus that's y i'm a bit concerned cuz we'll be out literally the whole day dusk to dawn type thing. Am I way too concerned here?

If you are diving dry where a pad it will get you through the day. I have seen the "instead" they sell here for about 8.00 a box of 6 or 12.. can't remember. YOu should never double up as it will increase your risk of toxic shock and you also risk having a tampon stuck. Diving wet.. again all I can say is bring a long a garbage bag ask those around not to look for a couple min and you change what you what too.. I mean the fuid eventually just washes away while you dive( if your diving wet) But it's the time period out of the water I think we are all most worried about..... I guess we all just have to find something that works well for you. Regular tampons you can use up to 8h depending on your flow. I would change before I headed out on the boat and immediatly when i got back.

scubaspider:
I have a question regarding this post.... What do you do if/when you are on a boat while menstrating for a day of diving and they dont have a bathroom to take care of your female problem/concern? Tampons only last like 4hrs. most. So, what do you do?

Went out of the country and was scheduled for two dives. Started my cycle the day of my first dive and it was the heaviest I had ever had in my life. Thankfully, I felt good enough to dive & just used tampons. I also brought extra tampons, tp & a zip loc bag with me. Right before boarding, I made sure I had a new one & figured it would last through both dives. I was wrong. There were no facilities on the boat and the water was a bit too cold to jump in and take care of anything. So after feeling extremely self-consious, I wrapped a towel around me and took care of the problem. I wrapped the "discarded" item as best I could with tp and stored it in the ziploc, put it in my dive bag until I got back to shore. Of course everyone pretty much figured out what I was doing - BTW did I mention I was the only female on board - and yes, I got offers to help me :11: Strangely enough it ended up being the topic for the ride back to shore and lead to some really great conversations.

Heh you never know until you have had to make the change being the only female aboard what sort of discussions will incurr.. heehee. Now that you have done it once you can do it again and again on a boat.. it's that first time is the hard part cause we fear what people will think.. :)

Firediver:
Heh you never know until you have had to make the change being the only female aboard what sort of discussions will incurr.. heehee. Now that you have done it once you can do it again and again on a boat.. it's that first time is the hard part cause we fear what people will think.. :)

So true! It also helps when you are 99% sure you will never see these people again!!!! :wink:

Yep definitly helps :p heehee.. unfortunatly in my circumstances my dive buddy is the only person I really dive with... oh well at least hea's understanding...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom