Mercury Wetted Reed Switches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bevansmw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
For a project I'm working on I've located and sourced some reed switches that can handle switching larger currents and are still in a small package. The switches I'm looking at are the COMUS MH5 reed switch, which is 11mm long and can handle a 2A switching current at 25V. They're rated for 50W.

Anyhow I thought this would simplify the design of some of the circuits in lights that people often build by eliminating the need for a FET ckt used in conjuction with a reed that can only handle small currents.

The only problem is if I order them I have to order at least 10 at a price of $6.50 each + S&H and just wanted to see if there would be any interest in them as I don't need 10 and could pass off the extras.

I've attached a spec sheet so people can see exactly what they are and their ratings.

This could be used to power something like a P7 in a situation where you have say 2 18650's w/ about a 1.5A input current to the driver which could regulate the LED current to 2.8A at about 3.75V (example of J forward voltage bin). Since the switch would never see the full 2.8A as that would be through the LED it would operate just fine switching the 1.5A input current.

Other combinations of supply voltage and input currents would work with other drivers too as long as it doesn't draw more than 2A of input current, exceed 50W of power or 500V of supply voltage (not likely to exceed 50W or 500V in a dive light).

Anyhow just a probe to see if there is interest, I'm probably going to purchase them regardless for my project but don't really have any need for 10 of them, maybe 3 I'll keep.

Attachments

• MH5.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 73
A good group to speak with this about would be found at Dive Lighting - CandlePowerForums. I know that a lot of them are working on the old reed switch ideas that you mentioned. If I was in the middle of a project for a dive light, I would be all over this. It's about time that they get a reed switch that can handle high current.

I dont see the point in using a high current ( 2a) reed switch as opposed to a low current one paired with a FET.

The FET option is cheaper and probably more reliable.
Where as a Reed carrying a large amount of current may end up getting welded together, have high electrical resistance and is limited to the amount of current you can run through it.

I dont see the point in using a high current ( 2a) reed switch as opposed to a low current one paired with a FET.

The FET option is cheaper and probably more reliable.
Where as a Reed carrying a large amount of current may end up getting welded together, have high electrical resistance and is limited to the amount of current you can run through it.

Cause some of us are too dumb to figure out how to build the FET circuit. If someone would publish a parts list with where to get them and a circuit drawing, that's probably what I'd do. (hint hint) :)

Besides being really simple, the other advantage of the high current Reed is that when it's OFF it's really off, as in not drawing any current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom