Merrimack Journal interview for story on "lobster bill"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
From today's Merrimack Journal article on Lobster bill.

State reps mull potential lobster bill

By Mark Ouellette
Published: Friday, Jan. 18, 2008

Cabinet.com | The CABINET PRESS INC | Covering Milford, Wilton, Amherst, Lyndeborough, Greenville, Mont Vernon, Jaffrey, Mason, Hollis, Brookline, Merrimack and Bedford, NH.

In case didn't see first printed 12/23 article, below is link:

Making waves? Divers support legal lobster diving in waters off New Hampshire’s coast

Cabinet.com | The CABINET PRESS INC | Covering Milford, Wilton, Amherst, Lyndeborough, Greenville, Mont Vernon, Jaffrey, Mason, Hollis, Brookline, Merrimack and Bedford, NH.

Anyone want to contact reporter:

Mark Ouellette
Merrimack Journal reporter
603-673-3100 ext. 29
mouellette@cabinet.com

Man these articles have some ridiculous comments from "experts". The writer was the 'messenger' in this case but I sent him a note with my 2 cents:

>>Good afternoon,
I'm a MA resident but I read your recent articles with
interest.

I wanted to present a few opinions from the
perspective of a diver and a passenger transport
Captain.

1.) Following the rules
I find it interesting Bob L’Heureux does not
acknowledge any possibility that commercial lobstermen
break the rules. This is in fact rather ridiculous.
There are just as many scenarios for lobstermen to
break the rules as there are for divers. This could
include taking lobster from traps owned by another
vessel, catching females and scraping the eggs off,
rigging the traps without minimum clearances, etc.,
etc. I'm on the water several times a week year round
and I have never once seen a lobster boat stopped and
inspected by the EP or USCG. I have certainly seen
and have been approached by EP waiting for divers to
emerge from the water to inspect their coolers or
catch bags. There is just as much opportunity for
divers to break the rules as lobstermen. The reality
is, a commercial lobsterman breaking the rules will
have a far greater impact than a recreational diver
taking a hand full of lobsters every year. The only
remedy for this is enforcement and penalties to keep
both parties honest. I think all would agree there
are not enough resources to patrol everyone all the
time.

2.) Environmental concerns
As a diver (who takes about 8 lobsters a year for my
own consumption) I see ghost traps all over the place.
Divers could not possibly pollute to the level of
commercial lobstermen based on carrying capacity and
necessary gear. In terms of disturbing a lobster as
part of the fishing process (referenced in your
article), divers are required to check for eggs, size,
and v-notch while still underwater. If any conditions
are not met the diver releases the lobster where
he/she caught it. Lobstermen drag a trap to the
surface, do the necessary checks, then throw the
lobster back into the water. The lobster must descend
from the surface to a new hiding spot on the bottom
dodging their predators on the way down. This
presents a much greater risk to disturbing a lobster
and exposing it to predators as part of the fishing
process.

3.) The MA model for divers
Even MA based newspapers seem to omit key facts
relating to the requirements for obtaining a diving
lobster license in MA. It is a common misconception
that divers 'flock' to MA because 'they can take
lobster'. Only MA residents, or those temporarily
living in a MA coastal town, or non-MA residents with
property in MA in excess of $5000 as evidenced by tax
records may acquire a non-commercial lobster diving
permit. The $40 - $60 annual fees for this license
are paid to the Commonwealth. This information can be
verified here:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/commercialfishing/nc-lobster_app.pdf
Note that divers can only acquire a "non-commercial"
lobstering permit if they meet the conditions above
and pay their fees.

4.) Competition
The MA Dept. of Fisheries and Wildlife could provide
the data but the total lobsters taken by divers is a
tiny fraction of the lobster taken by commercial
lobstermen. As pointed out by a lobsterman in one of
your articles, most divers are limited to shore
access. This means divers only get to fish for
lobster during the summer months when lobsters are
abundant and the prices are the lowest. Divers are
not able to get lobster beyond this relatively short
time frame. Outside of the warmest summer months,
commercial lobstermen are farther from shore tending
their traps without any proximity to divers.

Thanks for your time.

--Matt<<

Thanks for taking the time to write Matt. That was a great response to the concerns of some of our elected officials. We are currently gathering data that will hopefully refute some of the arguements that will come up but this will be an uphill battle since the NH diving community is so small and probably not very vocal. We'll keep reporting on any progress (or lack thereof).

Another opinion in Milford Cabinet

Select few&#8217; from Mass. want to get lobsters

To the Editor:

I am encouraged to see that an effort by members of the United Divers of New England to resurrect a bill allowing for the taking of lobsters by hand was killed by the NH Fish and Game. From a fisheries management perspective, recreational diver-based lobster collection is probably one of the worst ideas I&#8217;ve ever heard of. As a SCUBA diver (30-plus years) and a marine scientist, I can think of many policy and technical reasons for this, some of which were covered in the article. However, there is another reason that is even more compelling to me.

The whole business of lobster fishing here in New Hampshire (as in Maine), is a practice that has some very deep socioeconomic roots in New England&#8217;s cultural history. For centuries, the lobster fishing industry is one of the only managed fisheries that have been successful in sustaining itself as long as it has. Lobstermen have a &#8220;system&#8221; of self-regulation built from discipline and respect that in the fishing industry is recognized as second to none. The type of gear they use, how many traps are set and where, the V-notching of berried females, etc., are just some of the rules that lobstermen impose upon themselves to ensure that the resource is not overexploited. Those who do not live by the rules have their lobster pot lines cut (or worse). To allow recreational divers to collect lobsters would be disastrous to the lobstermen&#8217;s way of life.

I can&#8217;t help but think that underlying this whole effort are a select few from Massachusetts that have moved into New Hampshire and are now longing for some of the things that they left in Massachusetts &#8212; in this case, collecting lobsters by hand. I disagree with the analogy made by Lee Nichols that because deer and moose are hunted in New Hampshire, that lobster should be recreationally harvested.

Deer and moose populations have been monitored and managed for decades to sustain the profitable &#8220;industry&#8221; of recreational hunting. However, unlike deer and moose the lobster population has been managed to sustain a commercial fisheries, and there are generations within a select group of families that have shaped their way of life around it.

The history of lobster fishing is an important part of what makes New Hampshire so culturally different from other states; let&#8217;s not mess with that.

STEVE TRUCHON

Amherst

Far be it from me to discourage anyone from pursuing their rights, but should NH eventually allow divers to collect lobster, the NH divers might find to cost of victory too high.

NH to the best of my knowledge has pretty lax laws controlling divers.

Ma on the other hand has a whole series of ridiculous laws. For example:

-A diver without a flag gets fined $50
-A diver with a flag who surfaces more than 100 feet from the flag gets fined $50
-A boat within 100 feet of the flag must keep speed below 3mph but no mention is made of keeping any minimum distance from the flag
-And finally, gloucesters draconian each diver must have his own flag rule.

All of these laws were pushed thru by comercial lobstermen, who's version of "self regulation" is to make life difficult for anyone they view as competition.

While I agree that all the lobsters taken by all the divers in ma in a year is probably less than a medium sized commercial boat takes in a week, I feel that winning this fight may just start a much bigger one with consequences for all NH divers whether they want lobster or not.

Luis, it seems like you are doing a great job representing the diver's side of this issue for your fellow New Hampshire divers. I hope they appreciate the effort.

I'm still lining up sponsors for the bill. Once have a bill introduced and hearings commence, I'll post hearing dates and look to all of diving community to show up and show support, and address ea. of the concerns of opposition. If we organize like Mass did, with facts, etc, we can get this through.

What happened to live free or die?
This seems to me like the lobstermen are trying to create a monopoly on lobstering, which they allready have. Theydo a lot more damage to the ocean than divers do. Here in MA. the EPO is a self financed organization. All the fines the give out pay there salary and fund there budget. So if done right NH can bennifit from this by monitoring both recrational and commercial lobster fishermen.
good luck.
steve

Interesting argument about the averse effect the hordes of divers would have on the rich history of lobstering. I am more concerned about the increase of property taxes so that the "poor" fisherman can no longer afford to live on the sea coast. Use to be a time there would be a small house held together with 500 traps surrounding it, now in its place there is a mcmansion with a trap on the front lawn. This is more an emotional issue than common sense, I have been diving for years and only know a few that would be diving for bugs. Hell I am a vegetarian so I promise I will not hurt the "pretty" lobsters but I do not see an problem for the recreational diver being permitted to fish(sprearfishman watch out the ocean anglers will be arguing of your devastating effects on the sport fishing industry:D)

Back
Top Bottom