Metabolic Equivalents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress once bubbled...
Doc, what's a female diver's resting oxygen consumption? :)

Resting oxygen consumption is 3.5 ml/Kg/min or one MET, by definition!

Thus, I estimate that Scubababy weights in at about 55 Kg (I have no doubt she will correct me if I am wrong)

55 x 3.5 = 192.5 mls per minute!

If diving work avarages out at 5 METS her oxygen consumtion during a dive will be 5 x 192.5 = 962.5 mls per minute.

I have not met many nymph-like rebreather divers in this part of the world. The ones I have met look like truck drivers so giving them an average weight of 80 Kg was being kind, to say the least.

I weigh in at 95 Kgs, so would use over 1,600 mls O2 per minute on a dive, but I am 6 ft 2 ins tall and my BMI has increased over the yeasrs to 28. :)

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...

I weigh in at 94 Kgs, so would use over 1,600 mls O2 per minute on a dive, but I am 6 ft 2 ins tall. :)

Paul: you Brits are as bad as we Canuks... how tall are you again? 1.92 meters maybe? Or how much do you weigh? 207 pounds, perhaps!

Don't fret though, we buy gas in liters and we travel kilometers and still some people talk about how many miles to the gallon they get from their vehicles!

Doppler 1.8 meters: 75 kgs; 12.8 L/100 Km. 1. 312 liters oxygen/min

:) :) :)

Doppler once bubbled...
Doppler 1.8 meters: 75 kgs; 12.8 L/100 Km. 1. 312 liters oxygen/min
12.8 L/100 Km? A pretty long dive.:D :D :D

It is interesting that I subconsciously changed my height to 6 ft 2 ins as it means much more to me (and to you) than 1.88 metres. In fact I had made myself 4 cm shorter that I am! Also note we spell metres differently from most! (A meter measures things!)

In spite of legislation we still use what we are familiar with.

We all resist change. In the UK we have few "Metric martyrs" who still insist in selling vegetables in lbs and oz, illegally. :wink:

i'm going to have to use a metric-imperial conversion chart to decipher those last messages!

:)

thank you for the info.

dm

I thought I read somewhere that the suggeted fitness level for diving was 13 METS. (DAN or NAUI or ...)

I didn't see a time parameter (e.g. for 2-minutes or 20-minutes)

the closest thing on the list is running 6-minute miles for 16.3 METS.

That seems alot better than most divers I know...

GT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom