Question Microscope for regulator service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are there "stereo microscopes" that connect to the PC to save the video/pics and/or show on a monitor (at a reasonable price)?
If you only need imaging, get the less costly digital.
With stereo microscope your image is not going to be 3D anyway. I only mentioned it for those doing fine work at high Mag in which depth perception is important.

I just use a 5X magnifying glass. How primitive do I feel?

I just use a 5X magnifying glass. How primitive do I feel?
I got the digital because a "Picture is worth a 1000 words". I can take that picture and send it to friends to ask their advice on the best 'treatment' method. That advice has paid for the $35 microscope several times over and continues too.

I got the digital because a "Picture is worth a 1000 words". I can take that picture and send it to friends to ask their advice on the best 'treatment' method. That advice has paid for the $35 microscope several times over and continues too.
Sounds good to me!

On the digital side, there is a clear difference in quality, reliability of usb link to your computer, and most important - ease of focusing with this design:
Screenshot_20220921-083017_Amazon Business.jpg

This design is garbage, on both focus and connectivity:
Screenshot_20220921-082906_Amazon Business.jpg

On the optical front, you can spend LOTS of money. Frankly, for documentation and sending folks pictures of your repair, the USB scope is great!
But for evaluating a part yourself, there's nothing like visual. Mine doesn't have a camera port, but they don't cost much more on the bargain side. Optics aren't superb, but I use mine every day and have few complaints except field of view. I've gotten pretty good at holding my cellphone cam up to the eyepiece.
20220523_193808.jpg

Screenshot_20220921-085502_Amazon Business.jpg

I'd love to have this, however...
Screenshot_20220921-085938_Amazon Business.jpg

This design is garbage, on both focus and connectivity:
View attachment 744821
I picked one like this up for about $20 on ali express for a cheapo microscope solution, and the ability to focus certainly is poor. Not recommended.
It has worked ok for occasional use to identify and clean up a few dinged up first stage piston edges, but I would absolutely spend an extra $50-$100 bucks for better quality if buying again.

A sample picture showing about the best it can do after a bit of fiddling around with focus.
newnew.jpg

Back
Top Bottom