Midwater is a busy place

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Our dives only allow a brief window into the ever-changing midwater landscape. A world of beauty and drama, it gives me the sense of witnessing a grand process, something much larger than ourselves. I don't think my feet will touch bottom again for a long time.

Each of 8 dives on the Barge over a two-week period revealed a different assortment of zooplankton. I was aware of only a handful of species, and usually 2 or 3 species would outnumber the rest of the pack.

These two fish were sheltering by our anchor line for most of one dive. Kevin Lee identified them as larval flatfish. The second photo appears to be an older fish, as its eye has started to migrate.

Salps (pelagic tunicates) are just starting to show up.

This salp was about as large as a bonbon.

Small Ctenophores have been heavily represented lately, but we haven't seen any of the large, impressive species. This Beroe is stuffed with another comb jelly.

This comb jelly was a nice size, ~2", but so transparent that photographing it in the schmutz was quite a challenge. It appeared to be shape-shifting as it unfurled its lobes to feed.

This delicate species was barely nickle-size. Note the frilly lips of its mouth. Distinctive nematocyst tracks run upward from the base of each tentacle.

A delicate animal that reaches the size of a quarter, Mitrocomella lives for only a month! The whitish bodies are gonads, and its mouth has short lips.

This one accommodated amphipod hitchhikers.

Merry, I seriously bow in awe to these photos. Having spent a good twenty minutes or so on a recent dive, trying to get photos of the amazing parade of midwater critters, I know just how hard it is to get such beautifully lit and focused, and crisp pictures of things my camera insists do not actually exist!

Nice pics.

After 30 years of CA diving I find tropical waters so empty. I love warm water and pretty reefs but miss all the life in the water column---it's kind of a cold green hug.

Wow Merry! Stunning Collection! Is the Cyclosalpa bakeri a type of confederated salp "Guessing from its compartmental makeup" ? That Annatiara affinis capture is very impressive. Your posts are always entertaining and educational. Thank you for taking the time to share your captures and knowledge with us.

:eek:
I wish they where mine :blush:

Beautiful photos. Our ocean is so amazing to me. All of these wonderful creatures that most people never see. Thanks for sharing them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom