Midwest diver in Seattle week of 8/20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhilE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Folks..

Going to be training in downtown Seattle and was hoping to get a dive in wed night (8/22). My experience to date is all Lake dives so a fun intro into PNW diving would be great.

Wondering if there was a LDS i could charter something or find a local group. Class lets out at 5:45 so would need to be a later dive and something i could taxi to from downtown.

Not sure if this will happen or not with my time constraints but figured i'd throw the question out there..

thanks for listening

Phil

There is a great group of divers who go diving every Wednesday night at a site called Cove 2. See this link for more info: Northwest Dive Club • View topic - +++ Weekly PNW Dives +++
It is the Wacky Wednesdays West dive, and its whole purpose is to train existing and new divers. No need to charter, just stop by! And if there is any gear that you need, it can easily be arranged. I try to make every one of these Wednesday dives, so I believe I will be there unless other plans crop up. The official meetup time for these dives is 6:30, but there is also an earlier one generally.

I agree! The WWW dive would be perfect for you. You can take the water taxi from downtown across to the dive site. It's a beautiful place for an evening dive, looking at the downtown skyline, and you can see a lot of the typical Puget Sound fauna and flora there, including sometimes Giant Pacific Octopuses. It's a friendly group of people -- if you are on FB, you can go to the NWUE group and let people know you are coming, and what if any gear you want to borrow.

I also live in the midwest (Rochester, MN), and will be in Seattle that week, and have already made it out to the NWUE facebook page to invite myself to this dive. They sound like a great group of divers, and I am really looking forward to it.

Rob.

You can do a wide variety of dives at that site, from shallow cruises to moderately deep, to technical depths (although I don't think anybody bothers to do that there, except for training). Going down to about 50 feet, visiting some fallen pilings with a lot of life on them, taking a peek under a wrecked sailboat at about 35 for possible octopus sightings, and then meandering back through the sea lettuce, looking for grunt sculpins and gunnels and little red octos makes a really relaxing, pleasant dive.

that sounds good to me...i usually dive steel 100s (as i seam to either have a constant leak or suck air rapidly :D) so would i be able to talk nicely to someone closer to the time to borrow a tank and some lead ?

If you need to borrow steel 100s, just post in NWUE about it closer to the Wednesday you are going to be here. I see you found your way there at least. Almost everyone has em. I myself am currently in possession of two that I have been borrowing.

Sounds like fun..what level of gear/exposure do you typically dive on weds ?

Water temp is 50-52 degrees right now, depending on depth ... dress accordingly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've got steel 100s, although you may have to twist my arm to get me to give them up (they're my favorite tanks these days!). Maybe it will give me a good motivation to get out in my doubles and do some drills. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom