? mil in Coz.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwhef

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all, a nubie here. Going to Cozumel in a couple of weeks. Water temp is currently 82degree. I am renting a suit ( if needed) to take with me. So the Question is....do I need one and if so , what? 1 mil, 3 mi, a shorty....? please help. All my diving to this point has been in Monterey, Ca. temp..50 degrees. Snorkeled in Caymen but never dived in warm water yet

I wore a shorty for warm diving similar to yours but could just have easily gone without a suit at all. It did provide me with some protection from the elements, though. The next time I do any warm diving I plan to wear only a skin for pure protection. Have a great trip. You'll love it!

Hi, DWHef!

I am not of the hardy t-shirt and bathing suit crowd! We go to Coz 2-3 times a year and here is what we tend to wear:

Dec/Feb--3 mil Henderson Gold for me & 5 mil Henderson Gold for my better(much better!) half;

April-July--Dive Fleece for me & 3 mil or 5 mil Henderson Gold for the same much better half.

We tend not to visit Coz during the other months of the year. In Nov, I think the water temp will more likely be 80 deg F and not 82.

Whilst jellyfish are a relative rarity this time of year on Coz, I still think it is prudent to wear a full exposure suit--skin, fleece, neoprene--due to things like coral. Even though we are not supposed to touch the coral, an occasion surge might do that--that full suit will help minimize the damage.

Enjoy Coz--it is some of the very best diving in North America!

Scorpionfish

We're going to Cozumel in mid-December. It's our first time too!

I'm planning on bringing my 1mm jumpsuit. I'll rent a shorty to wear over it if I get cold after repetitive dives.

I second scorpionfish's recommendation to wear a full suit in any conditions. When I was in the Gulf of Thailand in October, I kept getting little irritating stings from what the locals called stinging plankton. I really couldn't see anything in the water, but would occasionally swim through an area that mildly stung any bit of exposed skin.

Dave

Suggest you wear a full suit both for protection against stinging things and to keep you warm if you are doing a number of dives each day. remember you will lose heat even if the water is 82f since you are at 98.4. You will not overheat in the water.

regards

It's true that it's better to wear a full exposure suit for protection.

On my last trip, I dove in 82 degree water repetitively. 1st day 5 dives, 2nd 4, 3rd 4. At first I was in a titanium skin w/ beanie. By the 7th dive I put on my 3mil w/ beanie. I find that the beanie helps hold in a little extra heat. But do be prepared - you WILL lost heat on repetitive dives!

A full suit for sure, even if only a skin. I was in Coz in July and did one dive with only a vest, since my skin was getting a split seam repaired. I brushed up against something that gave me the welt from hell on my calf.
Strangely, I treated it with vinegar & water, and it seemed OK until about a week later, when my ankle swelled up like a balloon. A week on antibiotics did the trick, but it sure sucked.

Got back from Coz a week ago. A 3/2mm full suit worked out well. Lots of repetitive dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom